LegacyGT.com

Car Computer (Music, Movies, GPS, etc.)

salvi

sorry, but i also have a car pc. i will admit that yours is so much better than my shitty one. however, i agree with F1 and Bmac... when i first started reading your post, i thought to myself... oh god, another freaking spammer! it almost belongs in the For Sale threads. then i realized, it was just a post about how cool you think your set up is. no doubt, it's quite nice. i wish mine looked half as good as that, but forum junkie or not, you're still a noob on this site. it's a bit overboard for my tastes. and if i saw any other posts or threads, i'd immediately think you were trying to sell me something! and I'M A SALESPERSON!!!!

overall, the install is nice and clean. i've not had much time to dink around with my RR set up, so still not sure how to get the buttons to work properly and so forth and so on. I do suggest to add to the massive car pc thread like most of us, offer up your experiences and what/how you did the hardware/software. my big issues, as others have said, wasn't the software but the hardware. again, nice job, you just may want to tone it down. ;)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

as a person getting out of the carputer stuff.. this is old news to me :p your project looks good, but you gotta be careful, carpcs/carputers/mp3cars are money pits on wheels. You get addicted to the hobby and you never want to stop.. until you get so much money and people tied up in the project that you wind up making promises and breaking them and then you feel really bad about it and uh.. well now I'm on a tanget.

either way, enjoy! I think next time.. I'll just get factory GPS or I'll stick with the ol laptop in the passenger seat GPS and ipod in the glovebox music.

for the record, if phase II would have ever been completed.. it would have looked a good 90% stock...time changes everything, some for the good, some for the bad I guess.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Sounds like a good plan, but then where would you get the power for the laptop? How would you turn it on/off? Where would it go flying when you hit the brakes? It would also be a mess of cables. In actuality, using a laptop is close to the price of starting from scratch.

Sounds like a good plan, but then where would you get the power for the laptop? How would you turn it on/off? Where would it go flying when you hit the brakes? It would also be a mess of cables. In actuality, using a laptop is close to the price of starting from scratch.

power inverter from armrest cig lighter, power button when you get to your destination, passenger side floorboard, and the cables aren't so bad :p thats what I do now for long trips (or short ones where I dont know where I'm going) plus.. if you already own the laptop, theres no additional purchases required outside of the gps antenna/software and a power inverter. I did that in my last 2 vehicles, and will be doing it in mine now that I've taken my stuff out, the only bad thing is with some of the older gps software you need a navigator to tell you where to turn cos looking over takes your eyes off the road. For that... a small external monitor like a xenarc would be a fine substitute, just prop it up on the dash and use its cig lighter power.

It doesn't have a clean factory look sure, but it also doesn't have the HUGE pita that carputers can be. like having your gps software lock up halfway down the road cos of a driver problem you werent aware of, or it bluescreens and reboots from the same problem and you have ot pull over and re-do things. Certainly not saying a laptop wont do those things, but the keyboard is attached heh, so theres no fumbling around with a wireless keyboard and finding out the battery is dead trying to kill the app and restart it. carputers have come a LONG way since 2000, but they still have some issues that need addressing..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

To be using such setup with a laptop sounds more of a hassle. Witht the Car Computer, if you set everything right, you won't such problems. We have been running this setup for months without any problems. No blue screen of death, etc. Yes, it can and will most likely happen since it's a computer. I have not had the software locked up or anything of that sort. We tested and tested this thing to ensure that it was going to work reliably. We went through three GPS software apps. in order to find the best one. We tried three different GPS sensors until we found the best one. It turns on when the car is on and off when the car is off. No crazy issues at all that require pulling over :)

OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!!

Nice install, looks professional.

Since you stuck around after all of that, I got lotsa questions...

-What did you make the bezel outa?

-Any pics of the build/install process?

-Which components did you end up using for the PC itself? What lead to those decisions?

-Why did you decide to use the full WinXPPro OS? Did you consider any others (OSX, Linux, XPe)?

-you mentioned trying different GPS apps and sensors. Which did you try, and what did you not like about the others?

-Did you integrate with the OEM stereo at all? If so, how did you connect it? Is volume handled by the PC or the stereo? Can one control the other?

-Any controls outside of the touch screen?

-Any challenges in the project? Is it 'complete', or still work in progress? What are your plans for tweaking/improvement?

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!!

Nice install, looks professional.

Since you stuck around after all of that, I got lotsa questions...

-What did you make the bezel outa?

-Any pics of the build/install process?

-Which components did you end up using for the PC itself? What lead to those decisions?

-Why did you decide to use the full WinXPPro OS? Did you consider any others (OSX, Linux, XPe)?

-you mentioned trying different GPS apps and sensors. Which did you try, and what did you not like about the others?

-Did you integrate with the OEM stereo at all? If so, how did you connect it?

Is volume handled by the PC or the stereo? Can one control the other?

-Any controls outside of the touch screen?

-Any challenges in the project? Is it 'complete', or still work in progress? What are your plans for tweaking/improvement?

Thanks for the nice comment :) and it was a pretty huge storm that fell upon me after this post, but they are just words and I’m still here. Answers to your questions are below:

1.The bezel is the OEM one with the screen molded onto it. The screen was taken apart and the front plastic was placed behind the bezel hole until it was correctly positioned. I then epoxy the living daylights on the back in order to hold in place. After that, the gap between the bezel and the screen plastic front piece was molded using bondo, sanding, bondo, etc.

2.The pics of the process can all be found on mp3car.com’s forum. Search for the username salvi.

3.Components of the PC are those that we purchased (Case, Mobo, HD, PSU, RAM, etc.) We decided on those because that’s what we needed.

4.We could have gone with Home, but it’s just the same. Never considered OSX nor Linux because the user is not familiar with those and most of the hardware/software is designed to be used with Windows. I thought about using XPe but software incompatibility is what deterred me from it as well.

5.First we tried MS Streets and Trips 2006 with the current GPS sensor that we are using. The software is mainly designed to use with laptops, not touchscreens. It had all the drop down menus making it impossible for selection via touch. Even the newer version that was supposed to be better had problems. The main problem was also that every time the application is started, you must manually find the GPS sensor, etc. Just a pain in the arse.

We also tried the DeLorme software with its sensor. The software was ok but it still was not designed for touchscreens and instead used drop down menus. The GPS sensor is a piece of crap, would not get a signal at all. We even placed it outside the house and nothing.

6.The OEM stereo did not get integrated but if you have an aftermarket Headunit, you can definitely do so. Look at the FAQ in the mp3car.com forum and you will find how to install it with a head unit or just with an amp like we did. The computer controls all the functions in our case except for the rear view camera.

7.Controls outside the touchscreen? Can you explain this a little more?

8.Challenges were many. Finding the right hardware/software combo was the greatest. Finding time to work on the project was another since we only worked on it on the weekends and after work. Not being my vehicle and not having it at home was a big inconvenience as well. If we took something apart, we had to put it together before the end of the day.

The project is complete. My friend is driving his car with it and loves it. While he was in Canada, he left it with me and I fell in love with it too. I will be installing the same setup in my car as well. Future plans are OBDII monitoring and what ever else comes to my friend’s mind :)

Hope that helps, if you have more Qs, feel free to ask.

7.Controls outside the touchscreen? Can you explain this a little more?

Kinda went along with the question about OEM stereo integration. In the case of the Legacy GT (w/ fancy smancy HVAC) the OEM stereo and AC controls are integrated into one unit. Cannot remove one without loosing the other. So, aftermarket stereos aren't a real option unless you're willing to accept that there'll be a dead piece of hardware in your center console.

We've worked out different solutions for sending audio to the OEM stereo based on model year. But I find that a touchscreen is a PITA for basic stereo controls (Vol-up/down, track skip, pause, etc). So I like the idea of having a set of physical controls at hand (like on the steering wheel, or center console) for this sort of thing. That is the purpose of the question.

Link to original thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85349

-Jim

Kinda went along with the question about OEM stereo integration. In the case of the Legacy GT (w/ fancy smancy HVAC) the OEM stereo and AC controls are integrated into one unit. Cannot remove one without loosing the other. So, aftermarket stereos aren't a real option unless you're willing to accept that there'll be a dead piece of hardware in your center console.

We've worked out different solutions for sending audio to the OEM stereo based on model year. But I find that a touchscreen is a PITA for basic stereo controls (Vol-up/down, track skip, pause, etc). So I like the idea of having a set of physical controls at hand (like on the steering wheel, or center console) for this sort of thing. That is the purpose of the question.

I see, I took a look at a couple of pics of the stereo. The stereo would have to be removed/cut if you wanted to place the LCD screen there. Most people that I have seen use it on a Legacy, they place it on the upper section, not where the OEM stereo is. I would have to take a look at the back of the panel in order to see. If the stereo can be removed/cut, then an LCD can be molded there as well and the same results can be achieved. But again, I cannot say for sure since I have not seen it from behind the panel.

I don’t agree with touchscreens being a PITA for basic functions. I think that it’s just like any other stereo, once you get used to it, it becomes second nature. If you want the next song, just touch the next song icon, etc. I have not had any problems with basic functions. There have been people that have used a little round device, sort of like the one that the BMWs come with, to select the next song, volume, etc.

Nice job. I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things, but I wouldn't mind one..

Just curious: how much were the parts?

HV

We spent over 1600 dollars on just parts due to not knowing where to buy, what to buy, etc. But now I can get the parts at a much lower price.

We spent over 1600 dollars on just parts due to not knowing where to buy, what to buy, etc. But now I can get the parts at a much lower price.

Wow. When you say "much lower", do you mean:

-less than $1K

-less than $750

-less than $500

?

HV

Yeah, Salvi's right, but it all depends on the parts.

You have to do your own research, but I used a Lilliput monitor instead of the more expensive Xenarc. You'll find MANY threads about the older 619 model breaking (mostly due to people not knowing or being careful when taking it apart). The newer Lilliput 629 model will save you $100, and if you're careful, there's NO DIFFERENCE than the Xenarc (the new model has seen NO issues in comparison with the older.) Then, you could get the more expensive transflective screens (no glare), but I don't think is worth it. If you mount your screen right in your bezel, you won't catch glare in the first place.

Also, the price depends on if you're counting the OS and the GPS software. That alone adds approx $350+ for legal/licensed copies.

But I spent only about $800 on mine, and came up with a complete system. Like salvi said, it all depends on your source of parts.

Then you have to think about altering your bezel. Unless you get one of us versed CarPC guys or salvi to fabricate yours for you, that's another $20 and about 10+ hours of your time.

You'll find it said around, these really are moneypits...but I love them

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Just remember that the screen alone is at least 329 dollars. There is no way parts can be 750 or below unless you get the cheapest screen, which most of the time break. I can provide the parts for around 1140 dollars.

i can attest to that! my screen was like $300 but the guy who was installing it kept breaking off teh parts. ended up costing me $650 by the time he was done screwing it all up! that was JUST the screen! :(

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Yup it really depends on the person doing the work, not the screen. Like I said, I have the "cheap screen" (which probably more people have than not) and its worked perfectly since I bought it. But I was VERY careful and did my research first on how to disassemble it.
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I took the Xenarc apart many, many times and never had an issue. Most of the poeople that had problems with the Lilliput screens was because of their error. But what deterred me from that screen is that a lot of them had done it right, but after a couple of months, weeks, the touchscreen started having problems. A lot of people reported that the touchscreen on the right side would stop working, etc. I would rather spend the extra 100 and avoid the risk. Can you imagine what would happen if the screen went bad when it's already molded on the bezel??? :)

trdvibe - You should have fired who ever was installing your stuff!!! I checked your CarDomain site and saw your setup. Do you use the AccessPort that much that it requires for it to be on the windshield? Also, how are you using your Ipod, with your stereo or computer?

I also checked out that Wifi co., do you work for them? I noticed that they have service in Visalia, CA, which is where I am from and where most of my family is. Can you give me more info in regards to them, are they planning on coming to SD?

...i'd immediately think you were trying to sell me something! and I'M A SALESPERSON!!!!

You'd be right for thinking this too, because that is his ultimate motive for being here. He said it himself --

I posted this after having it posted on almost every other Subaru forum.

So these posts that just happen to offer the sales of parts or labor for the same project have been made to other Subaru boards. Sounds like a thinly-veiled attempt at advertising to me.

Just remember that the screen alone is at least 329 dollars. There is no way parts can be 750 or below unless you get the cheapest screen, which most of the time break. I can provide the parts for around 1140 dollars.

Not trying to lowball anyone or anything. Just trying to get a ballpark figure as to how much a setup like that would be.

Thanks,

HV

You'd be right for thinking this too, because that is his ultimate motive for being here. He said it himself --

So these posts that just happen to offer the sales of parts or labor for the same project have been made to other Subaru boards. Sounds like a thinly-veiled attempt at advertising to me.

Vendor status required I believe.

-Jim

Not trying to lowball anyone or anything. Just trying to get a ballpark figure as to how much a setup like that would be.

Thanks,

HV

No problem, but it all depends on what you want. If you want to go all out, then you'll spend more. For example, the rear view camera seen on the video was over 100 dollars.

Archived