LegacyGT.com

Problems with 05 stereo reading CD-Rs

Troy

Does anyone else have problems with the OEM stereo playing burned mixes? My 2000 2.5RS played everything i threw at it perfectly (and sounded great!). My 2005 LGT won't play half the same CDs and skips frequently on others (but does play some perfectly).

How ya gonna sell a car in 2005 that doesn't play CDRs? That's outrageous considering that it can't be replaced!

Am i alone on this one, or is this problem not uncommon?

I'm not as concerned about it as i'd otherwise be, because i've got a jazzy chip to install so i can use my ipod, and i'm hoping to snag an mp3 compatible stereo off ebay (looks like i may have missed the boat on that one though).

Mine plays my CDRs just fine but after about an hour of continuous play they start skipping. Not staticky type skips, but just jumping 5 or 10 seconds ahead.

Try a different brand of CDR. Ones made in Japan are generally considered better quality than any others.

I just ordered (Crutchfield) a Roady XT XM radio. Read a few of the review and some say they HAVE to install a FM Modulator to get get good sound. I do NOT

want to have to remove the radio from the dash etc. Any of you use a XM and/or Sirius radio ??? Mine is a 05 GT wagon.

Thanks, Deadeye:wub:

It's weird, before i took it in the dealer i had the same problem as you for nearly 2 years, some CD-R it won't read and some skips and have noises when playing the CD.

I brought my car in the dealer for 30k service, i told them about the problem, and when i went to pick it up, they said the CD player worked fine, they tested all my CD and it worked... and i took the CDs i had problem with and show it to them, WEIRD, they all worked fine :eek:

And they still are working fine even 2 months after the service

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Its probably the brand of CD you are using. My stereo wouldn't play the Sony's I had, so I switched to Memorex and didn't have any issue.

I agree... there is something wrong with the media or recording speeds you are using. When burning music CDs, use 4x recording speed or lower for compatibility with Audio CD players.

My Legacy's CD changer plays all CD-R and even CD-RW media without any issues.

To those who are suggesting different media and what not. I'm sure (well i hope anyway!) that if i messed around and experimented long enough, that i could find CDs that would play well. But that's missing the point. The point is that my old subaru played anything i threw at it, the newer one does not, that is not progress.

Anyhow, i appreciate everyone's input. At least now i know i'm not the only one.

Hanger's situation is interesting... Did they say if they changed anything Hanger? Or did it just magically work for them?

Its your cd player! Mine was doing the same exact thing. I don't care what anyone else says, but I used many different brands, different burning software and all my cd-r's did the skip and scratching sounds. There are so many people on this board that don't understand this problem and only speculate its the burning media and/or cd-r's quality. I just got my car back this weeks from having the stereo replaced for this proble and all the cd-r's that skiped and made scratching sounds now play perfectly. If your car is under warranty take it to them and show them. I did not have a problem with my dealer not wanting to replace the stereo. If they give you a problem and say its just how cd-r's are, bla bla, look in the manual for you car and show them where it says that this stereo is designed to play cd-r's.

To those who are suggesting different media and what not. I'm sure (well i hope anyway!) that if i messed around and experimented long enough, that i could find CDs that would play well. But that's missing the point. The point is that my old subaru played anything i threw at it, the newer one does not, that is not progress.

Anyhow, i appreciate everyone's input. At least now i know i'm not the only one.

Hanger's situation is interesting... Did they say if they changed anything Hanger? Or did it just magically work for them?

At what speed are you recording your CD-R discs? I'm willing to bet money that you are using a speed that is too high for use with audio CD players.

Most people don't realize that standard audio CD players cannot read discs that were recorded at very high speeds.

I just ordered (Crutchfield) a Roady XT XM radio. Read a few of the review and some say they HAVE to install a FM Modulator to get get good sound. I do NOT

want to have to remove the radio from the dash etc. Any of you use a XM and/or Sirius radio ??? Mine is a 05 GT wagon.

Thanks, Deadeye:wub:

your not going to get much with out removing the radio(along with some other pieces) that includes having wires laying across....

I know its not progress, but its just how they're manufactured now, obviously a different process, because I had a 2001 Mitsu., which played my Sony CDs, I got a 2006 Mitsu. and the SAME cds would not play, or have terrible sound. I was just speaking from experience, thats all.

It sucks, mine does the same shit. Stops playing properly after it seems to get hot...so I wonder if that's the issue. It plays real CDs fine no matter how long.

Mine acted much the same way. It started off only having this problem after I had played my cd player for awhile, but as months went by it eventually started doing this within a minute of playing a cd. Real CDs played fine, but right there at the end before I had my unit replace I notice it did screw up a few times on real CDs. I suggest anyone having this problem take the car to the dealer and ask to have the stereo replaced under warrranty.

Some decks can't handle CD-Rs that are longer than the official spec -- 74 minutes. That could be the reason for the 'starts skipping after about an hour' problem.

Iv'e had this happen on CDs that weren't even close to full, are you saying that even then the deck can't read it? That's pretty shitty if you ask me when 80 minutes are more the norm than 74 minutes.

I've just upgraded to an MP3 deck so it is moot. I will however see if I can reproduce it this MP3 headunit.

CD burners and burning software do two things to cram more music onto a CD-R: pack the bits closer together (faster data rate), and record past the 74-minute point. Some decks can play these discs, others can't.

If you're having problems on a disc shorter than 74 minutes, it might still be due to the data rate. Or some other issue. CD-Recordable FAQ

Some decks can't handle CD-Rs that are longer than the official spec -- 74 minutes. That could be the reason for the 'starts skipping after about an hour' problem.

I've had issues with the end of discs, so that would make sense; however, I was referring to the actual amount of time the deck was powered on.

• 1 month later...

Deadeye:

I have a RoadyII, the predecessor to the XT. The hardwired FM modulator sounds fine to me, better then straight FM, not quite CD quality but to my non audiophile ears it sounds good.

I take the position that an XM radio is still a radio and I don't expect digital quality sound from it.

But that's just my opinion.

Cheers

I had this problem...using Staples brand CD-Rs. I burned at the default 24X speed and encountered the "skipping". I then re-burned the exact same songs at 8X speed, the player doesn't seem to have any problems now.

Archived