LegacyGT.com

Test-drove 05 LGT differences in 06, 07?

bilzebub

I don't like the seats in this car. To me, they're not comfortable for long trips. I miss the seats in my mx6 :(

I love the seats in the car. I've done 4 hour straight stints and could go longer but I have to refuel.

Again a subjective issue, test drive the car and find out for yourself.

I keed I keeed

Please stop making up things. Quote me where did I say 07 was a bad car?? The poster asked if it's worth extra money to consider 07 model. IMO, NO IT IS NOT!

Nowhere did i say i was quoting you or putting words in your mouth. But you seem uncomfortable answering the question. I am not asking you if you think the 07 model is worth the extra money, you have already clearly said that. I am asking a simple 'yes' or 'no' question without any qualifiers added on: 'do you think the 07 model is a bad car'?

and fyi, that question wasn't directed specifically at you but at all 05/06 owners, i just happened to quote your post because it was convinient, so don't feel like youre under the spotlight. if answering that question really makes you that uncomfortable, then forget it.

06 had a redesigned crash structure that made it safer. Just something to think about in your decision.

Huh? Link please. I have never heard that and I don't really believe it.

mccory,

It's true. They made improvements for the driver side door. Getting info......

Edit:

From http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=358 :

You can see the side impact results are marginal for the 05, and good for 06 and onwards. Here's the direct quote on the improvements:

The Subaru Legacy was redesigned for the 2005 model year. Beginning with 2006 models, changes were made to the side structure, front seats, and front seat-mounted torso airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes.

Research is overrated though. :icon_roll

I keed I keeed

Looks like they changed the seat bolsters, the side air bags, and moved the door beam up a little...

However... the body structure and pillar structure remained unchanged, AFAIK. Am I wrong? Did they, indeed, change the B-pillar construction?

Looks like they changed the seat bolsters, the side air bags, and moved the door beam up a little...

However... the body structure and pillar structure remained unchanged, AFAIK. Am I wrong? Did they, indeed, change the B-pillar construction?

No idea, but going from Marginal to Good is a big step, no matter what you think of the IIHS tests (unless you think they're worthless, in which case the point is moot). There have been a few articles posted about Subaru's B-pillars defying the Jaws of Life and most metal cutters, but if I remember correctly the models they talk about in the article were older than MY05, so the design would likely have been present in the '05 models that scored poorly.

mccory,

It says "changes were made to the side structure", so I think that's a structural change.

And 47ka said, it does not really matter, since going from Marginal to Good is pretty significant.

I keed I keeed

I hear the 2006 sedan as not having fold down rear seats, is this true!? That could be a deal breaker for me. So, I was quoted 23,900 for an 06 untitled GT wagon with 1,000 miles on it due to sales manager driving it. What do you guys think of this deal (I'll admit that demos make me more nervous for some reason than true used cars) ? I get the folding seats, but in wagon form, wasn't initially considering the wagon as I now own a 2000 outback and will keep it as my 2nd car, so when i need a wagon i'll have one... are there any downsides (handling changes etc) to getting the wagon? Internet quotes for new 2007 Auto GT sedans all seem to hover in the $27,000 range (basically, invoice minus 1250 [dealer + customer] incentives, and so I wonder, which is the better deal assuming that i will not sell the car before it 'dies' (-- that depreciation is a moot point for me, in other words) ?

Yes, unfortunately it is true that fold-down seats are only available on 07 models. For more information, cars101.com is a great site to use to get nitty-gritty information (as well as this site of course).

As for the price, it sounds a tad high since there is mileage on it (we got our Outback SE for a few thousand less than the MSRP and it had about 20 miles on it) but there are better authorities on that subject on this forum than me.

Again another thread where 05/06 owners come and say the 07 sucks because they dont have one. Looking at the interior of an 05/06 vs. the 07 the knobs on the radio are much nicer looking. In terms of the Si-Drive it shouldnt be a make or break deal but it is nice to have driving around the city as it does make a difference in stop and go traffic. According to many the 07 has an improved turbo aswell as a catless uppipe. Fold down rear seats in the 07 only which is a huge ++++ especially if you use your trunk alot. MP3 capability on the radio is great to have, insurance is probably cheaper on an 07 (or atleast was for me) when compared to an 05 or 06. You cannot compare a used 05/06 in price to a brand new 07. If your budget is in the price range of a used 05/06 then go for that, if you have the money for an 07 then get it because you will be much happier.

i am also o purchasing the lgt. ive been looking for an 05' of a 2 year lease or somethign, well thats what im hoping for. now i have an 01 acura 3.2cl type s, but want awd. is the interior as nice as the acura? 4 door is a nice feature also, as opposed for the 2dr cl. overall what would you say? how is the comefort level?? thanks in advance

Supposedly, the seats are softer and more comfortable in the newer Legacy's. If you want navigation, go with an '07+. If you are comfortable with having a manual for a daily driver, I would venture to say that the '07 Spec B can't be beat in terms of features, and comfort.

I would say the 07 Legacy GT is inititally more reliable the the 05 or 06 since it has the updated version of the VF40 Turbo. SOA made a change to fix some earlier reliablity problems.

If you're getting a turbo legacy, get an 07 or later.

Other than one experience due to bad gas, my '05 has been rock solid in terms of reliability, just like Subaru is known for.

Other than one experience due to bad gas, my '05 has been rock solid in terms of reliability, just like Subaru is known for.

My 05 blew a wheel bearing, turbo and piston all before 40K miles.

I keed I keeed

Probably, since this was my first car purchase I made the error of not thinking about the higher chances of defects in a first year model and not getting an extended warranty. :icon_wink

The LGT's intercooler design is fine for most people, but if you drive hard the rigidly connected turbo-side endtank's tabs will start to separate, which is a known issue. Never fixed or redesigned.

The common issue of hestiation with turbos. Never totally fixed.

The car has never stranded me but the number of problems and time it has spent at the dealer makes me wary of turbos as daily drivers that can be beat on.

For an aggressive driver, like me, they're very finicky. There is stuff you would only know to do and not to do after having lived with a turbo Subie.

I wish those problems were 100% operator error. I kept it bone stock, followed the manual and the dealer's word, but to no avail. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Next time, I'll probably get a beater for daily driving to work and then keep the turbo Subie for the weekends.

^^^^^^

Obviously due to operator error! :lol:

I keed I keeed

I think you just got a bad one... IMHO. I drive my car pretty hard. I am up in rev's every day and put over 50 miles on her a day at a minimum.

I never had the TMIC seperate... but the tabs did look a little funny. I have a Perrin TMIC now.

My only other mechanical issues I've had are...

1.) Growling in the rear of the car under hard acceleration in cold weather (unsolved.. but we think it is bushings...)

2.) Clutch... it has started to slip with 50K miles and Stg. 2 tune....

3.) RPM surging.... I think it is a bad front O2 sensor... I'm going to switch it out tonight.

Other than that, the car has been mechanically flawless.

Archived