LegacyGT.com

November 2004 Consumer Reports Review

[quote name='jaycee']From reading several of them I would say that Comsumer Reports really prefers the sedate family car and is probably out of their element trying to assess sportier vehicles. Just look through their best pick cars sometime - it's a real hoot.[/QUOTE] Yeah, what the heck is that Legacy thing doing as a best pick? :lol: If they were after "sedate family vehicles," they would have rated the Volvo higher than the Legacy GT, right? They didn't. They also LOVED the WRX and, IIRC, the STi. The Acura TL is their highest-rated sports sedan, which jibes with marketplace reality. If I didn't have to have AWD and a wagon, I would have a TL in my driveway right now. Those cars are fabulous. No, CR knows exactly what it's talking about. If it didn't, it wouldn't survive. The two things that CR downrated the Legacy for were poor gas mileage, and you won't have to search hard on this forum for people grousing about that very thing, and the tendency of the rear end to step out when at the limit, in emergency maneuvers. Again, this tendency has been noted on this board, but here, people think it's cool. There, as well as in the rest of the world, people don't think that's cool at all, they think it's something that you should be aware of as a potential danger. So, if CR downrated the Legacy for the very things that people on this board have observed and in some cases complained about, what does that make us? Out of our element in assessing sporty vehicles and how much we like them? Should we all have bought base Outbacks, or 2.5is? This is why I say drive it, love it, and who cares what any other magazines say. You wouldn't have bought the car if you didn't like it, which should be more than sufficient. Kevin

I bought the car for my own reasons and I still like it - I don't look for validation from any magazine that I made the right choice. But, I do laugh at the ratings in Consumer Reports sometimes. I'm just trying to discourage people from taking the CR folks too seriously. Even if they placed the Leg at number one I would've taken it with a grain of salt. CR apparently sells enough copies to stay in business (assuming they're not taking cash on the side from the manufacturers of the products they recommend) but that's also true for the Weekly World News and I don't consider that a fount of truth either. CR has made many recommendations over the years that've left me wondering what medication they're on - I just don't trust their judgement.

I don't laugh @ Consumer Reports at all... I think that they are the absolute best place to get reliability info on vehicles. Remember that the reviews are opinion but the reliability stats are compiled from hundreds of users just like us and they are VERY accurate. Will I buy a car based on their Recommendation NO, will I be swayed by their reliability INFO Absolutley. Parousia.

[quote name='Parousia']I don't laugh @ Consumer Reports at all... I think that they are the absolute best place to get reliability info on vehicles. Remember that the reviews are opinion but the reliability stats are compiled from hundreds of users just like us and they are VERY accurate. Will I buy a car based on their Recommendation NO, will I be swayed by their reliability INFO Absolutley. Parousia.[/QUOTE] I agree wholeheartedly....

I agree with Parousia too, on reliability matters the CR stuff is pretty objective. When you look at their recommended cars however, they often go against their own criteria. It's a real head scratcher sometimes. My formula for interpreting CR data is: reliability = trustworthy; recommended vehicles = not so much.

[quote name='STG']Why would anyone take the opinion of Consumer Reports seriously when it comes to cars? Afterall, they test and rate hair dryers, refrigerators and toasters. Lipstick, TVs, heaters, ad infinitum ad nauseum. [/QUOTE] I use their reviews and forums to get a feel for the reliability of a car. I'm surprised that the Volvo S40 received such low marks, I'm interested in the S40 and Legacy (top two choices). I know that the S40s have some problems, lots of software upgrades, radio, A/C, etc. I originally wanted to get the new car in spring, but maybe I should wait for the 2006 models. Let Volvo and Subaru patch up a few things and see where it goes from there.

Archived