LegacyGT.com

Have to replace 1 tire on a spec.B

VtspecB

I am faced with having to replace one RE050A 89Y on the stock setup of the '06 spec.B. I have 7/32" remaining on the other tires (~10k miles) and everything I have read here and other places about matching tires on our cars is that it needs to be within 1/32" of the other tires. The new RE050A’s have 10/32”.

What are my options, other than replacing all 4 tires? I have heard talk of tire stores that will 'shave' a tire down to the desired tread depth but that any altering of a new tire voids its warranty. I, for one, have never had an occasion to exercise the tire makers warranty, treadlife or other so I guess I am not to concerned if I have to take that avenue.

Any thoughts? suggestions? past experiences?

Better yet how about some one that has an RE050A with 6/32" - 8/32" tread depth remaining on it.

I might have a tire or 2 you could use. The alignment on my Spec B (and the fact that my lazy ass never rotated the tires) ran the 2 front tires down to the cords in about 12k miles. I took the wheels off for the winter but I did have 2 good tires from the rear that might work for you. I haven't measured them but I can get you some pictures tonight if your interested.

Absolutely.

If your two remaining tires are more than 1/32" off of my current 7/32", I would be interested in knowing what folks think about replacing 2 tires, instead of just 1, that are more than 1/32" different.

How many miles on the tires when you realized the folly of your ways?

I had approximately 10k miles on them when they were first rotated. I took them off with about 12k miles. I don't know how to get you depth mesurements but here's a couple of pictures attached with a penny jammed in the tread of the one on top.

Sorry it took a day to get back to you, the weather in PA has been crazy. I'm glad I'm not still on these RE050A's right now.

RE050Atire.thumb.jpg.5108c91bb4722e78b4e26c4962e9ff3a.jpg

RE050Apenny.thumb.jpg.22b01436128dfa1df1edf0e0c3bc933c.jpg

Archived