LegacyGT.com

Found a Legacy need advise...

RipxLGT

Hello All,

I have found a 06 legacy GT in my area that I am very interested in (through private party). Going to test drive it soon. My main question revolves around the fact that he has done all his own oil changes. Will that void the Subaru warranty? the car only has 17k miles on it and I would of course want to be a able to use the warranty if anything major came up while its still covered. Other than that the price is good and it carfaxed clean. What do you all think?

Thanks,

RipxLGT

It's better if the owner did his own oil changes - he's going to be more concientious than the dealer mechanics, unless it's a really good dealer.

Chances are that someone doing his own maintenance on the car has taken better than usual care of the car. I'd value this type of used car much higher than otherwise. As long as the oil changes are _documented_ then it cannot affect the warranty.

Maybe see if the owner kept his receipts from purchasing the oil/filter for the changes.

Doesn't hurt to have those just in case.

I always question how meaningful this is. I mean, I buy filters by the case and oil in bulk (usually 12-20 quarts at a time). I guess I just like having the stuff handy.

I sent a e-mail to subaru to ask also but didnt expect a reply same day. Anyway here is what they said if this question ever comes up again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. and for your inquiry.

We do not require that your regular maintenance services be performed at an authorized Subaru dealer. Conversely, any warranty concerns do need to be handled by the nearest Subaru dealer. We provided you with a 2006 Warranty & Maintenance booklet giving you a blueprint to your scheduled maintenance services. In the event that you are not close to a dealer or if you have a preferred service provider, these services can be done there. Failure to use a Subaru delaer for maintenance will not exempt you from warranty coverage unless a mechanical failure is traced back to the workmanship of a non-subaru service facility.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact us with any future comments, questions and concerns at 1-800-SUBARU3.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all,

RipxLGT

Archived