LegacyGT.com

Auto Throttle...

it's good to see i'm not the only one with the mysterious revving engine! i have an 06 2.5i manual wagon. ever since i got it at the end of last july i've noticed the engine reving up when i have the clutch in and foot on the brake. it usually happens when i roll into a parking spot but sometimes happens when i'm stopped at a light. the engine revs up to 2k -2.5k and then goes back down and sometimes revs back up again. i've finally figured out how to defeat it...when coming to a stop or rolling into a parking spot, take it out of gear and throw it in neutral. it's a bit annoying, but if i put it in neutral, it hasn't revved up on my again. if i leave it in gear, it'll do it pretty much every time. try putting it in neutral and see if that does the trick.

so, this is something that can't be corrected?

IIRC, what you're experiencing is an anti-stall feature built into the ECU's programming. If the revs drop while you're moving, it will goose the throttle. My '05 does this - the first time it happened I was creeping forward in 1st in a right turn lane, and the ECU decided to goose the throttle. I almost rear ended the guy in front of me, and my foot wasn't even near the gas!

Not so much - I've learned to drive around it, and I'm sure you will as well.

-Ryan

looks like subaru will be in for some lawsuits down the road if that feature really does exist.

The suit would be easily won. "Well the car has technology that made me crash and injure myself"

Don't worry about engine braking - it's totally good. Just don't slip the clutch doing it.

Clutch should be in or out - not halfway. I've read about all these people that replace their clutch after 30 or 40K miles and just have to wonder what the heck they are doing to them.

I've replaced exactly ONE clutch over 14 years and 5 cars. It had 180K miles on it (lightweight CRX) My wifes old Mazda has 140K miles and the original clutch.

So yes, done properly, engine braking is not bad, and will yes - actually save your brakes.

Yeah - those $50-100 pads are murder compared to the cost of a new clutch and flywheel since our flywheel can't be turned. Then there's the labor -- maybe one hour total for the brakes vs. an all-day or all-weekend job for a clutch replacement. This is known as false economy.

Let the clutch move the car. Let the brakes stop the car. Those are their intended functions. Of course a little engine braking never hurt, such as maintaining a steady speed into a corner. Using the engine for every redlight is rediculous.

Now, having said all of that, I also want to point out that high rpms at lower speeds while not in gear are not uncommon at all. Many ECUs do this to make sure there is enough vaccum available for braking, clutch assist, and other functions you may need while you'd otherwise be lugging the engine. That vac has to come from somewhere!

You won't have a high mileage clutch in a Legacy GT, I promise you. It has nothing to do with driving style. It has to do with the relationship between power, clutch size, and vehicle size. These cars have very small clutch discs in relation to the job they have to do and they will wear more quickly as a result.

+100 on the not downshift into first thing. did it once or twice wen i was a noob in my cousins 325xi 5spd...the noise and bucking sensation wasn't pleasant. I know better nowadays wen I drive Precise's GT...1st gear only from a dead stop. 2nd gear is the most fun gear anyway :lol:

Archived