LegacyGT.com

Two engine air filters?

I was looking under my hood the other day, and it seems to me like there are two air filters for the engine. One is in the normal spot, but there is another one that seems to be in the place where an intercooler would be on a turbo charged car. Is there any point to having two filters? :confused: That has got to ruin a little bit of performace.

California spec (and other states that have similar regulations) cars come with two filters for emissions purposes. Also I think they have some extra exhaust items too that non-California cars don't. Yes it does take away some HP...but Subaru claims, I think, 5 HP reduction in California spec cars. It's posted in the tiny font on the bottom of the sales brochure when you bought it new.

• 3 weeks later...
I recently took apart the whole intake system in the car, and found out that the thing right before the throttle is not a second air filter. The box that says "H4" is actually just a air box without anything in it. The box does look a bit restrictive though. I'll post pics of the box once I get home where I can upload the pictures.

• 4 weeks later...
[size=2]Our ’99 Impreza 2.5RS had two filters, one in the primary airbox, one in the airbox attached to the throttle body at the back of the engine compartment. I replaced the second filter with a gasket from Teague's Auto, but never noticed any changes for better or worse. Seemed odd that it was in there, but I believe the car was a California emissions spec car now that someone mentions it. It was purchased from a West Virginia Dealer. Just to add to the info….[/size] [color=black][font=Verdana]_________________ ~Scott & Nadia '05 Outback 2.5i Wagon Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic 225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's[/font][/color]

Archived