LegacyGT.com

tires with most controllable slip?

NSFW

I'm starting to think about a new set of wheels and tires for the non-snow seasons, and have decided that I am most interested in tires that handle well at their limits - how high the limit is, is a secondary consideration.

All things being equal, I'd go for summer tires, but I'm not trying to beat anyone on a track... going fast is less interesting to me than just going at the limits, wherever those are, so I figure that it's worth trading off some skidpad Gs if it makes slides more controllable.

Any suggestions?

but more grip = allowable speed, no?

I think you are looking for more of smoother transitioning tire.. you maybe looking for something along the lines of a Toyo T1-R or that nature.. the Azenis RT-615s do have some snap-back in them so they might not be a tire for you, you could try a set of Kumho MXs that are also more forgiving than the Azenis.. but I think the Toyo T1-R is what you are looking for.

Keefe

Sure, but allowable speed is not my main concern, so absolute grip is not my main concern.

Perhaps "secondary" was not the best choice of words - I mean distant second.

Anyway, "smooth transition" describes what I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sure, but allowable speed is not my main concern, so absolute grip is not my main concern.

Perhaps "secondary" was not the best choice of words - I mean distant second.

Anyway, "smooth transition" describes what I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

Smooth transition from what?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

smooth transitions, as in the grip level isn't peaky when it comes to the terms of grip.. Race tires like Hoosier have a high grip LIMIT.. but when they fade on you, they REALLY fade on you without much warning.

Street tires on the other hand don't have as high as a grip LIMIT, but instead, their grip isn't as peaky.. if they are overdriven, you can tell very easily as they slide in and out of maximum limit of grip gradually.

Believe or not, all-season tires are probably a better choice as they are soft enough to fade in and out of dry and wet levels of grip without a lot of drama.. drifting on Potenza RE-92s is really nice to have..

If you want a summer tire, try a set of Falken ST-115s as they are easily controllable with a fair limit of dry grip.. I havent tried other tires that gives that kind of similar grip other than the real CHEAP Kumho 711s that are lower in grip levels and are pretty smooth in transitions from sliding in and out of its grip limit.

Keefe

smooth transitions, as in the grip level isn't peaky when it comes to the terms of grip.. Race tires like Hoosier have a high grip LIMIT.. but when they fade on you, they REALLY fade on you without much warning.

Street tires on the other hand don't have as high as a grip LIMIT, but instead, their grip isn't as peaky.. if they are overdriven, you can tell very easily as they slide in and out of maximum limit of grip gradually.

Believe or not, all-season tires are probably a better choice as they are soft enough to fade in and out of dry and wet levels of grip without a lot of drama.. drifting on Potenza RE-92s is really nice to have..

If you want a summer tire, try a set of Falken ST-115s as they are easily controllable with a fair limit of dry grip.. I havent tried other tires that gives that kind of similar grip other than the real CHEAP Kumho 711s that are lower in grip levels and are pretty smooth in transitions from sliding in and out of its grip limit.

I think you missed my point. Did he mean a tire that protests vis noise(screech) or a tire that starts to slide slowly ?A tire that screeches lets you know by the noise, that it it reaching its limit(ala re92). A tire with soft compound simply smokes(ala ds3, GT+4), but the feed back is in the steering.

Either way, the time to find out that you have over cooked a corner on a public road, it NOT in the corner!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I think you missed my point. Did he mean a tire that protests vis noise(screech) or a tire that starts to slide slowly?

Screeching is better than nothing, but I'd much prefer a slow slide. Sorry for not being more clear.

the yokohama advan neova ad07s i had last summer were very good at the transitioning point. on the autox track, my rear was swinging all over the place but i was always able to keep it in line thanks to the tires. They never just broke loose right away, I was always able to bring it back in line.

Archived