LegacyGT.com

Sti Turbo on a NA Legacy

A friend of mine just totaled his 2006 STI, R.I.P. So he is striping what he can out of it to get some money. I wanted to get a profesional opinion on takeing the IHI VF39 turbo and placing it in my NA Legacy. I know there will be alot involved but can it be done with out breaking the bank.

welcome to the forum!

ehhh that can be done, but a hell of a lot of work...

id say if its all intact, get his entire motor, ecu, differentials ect..

do a direct swap..

probably not cheap...

or another route...buy the turbo/intercooler and the block and swap out the internals

i.e. rods, pistions.

you'll also need his fuel system and one hell of an ECU tune....

best of luck

oh and by the way...if this is somthing you really want to do, and are willing to make the effort and put the money into..more power to you

i say if you want to do this, go for it, despite all the negative feedback im sure you will get in this thread.

Just swap the engine!

+1

swapping the whole engine with coolant lines and such would be much easier and cheaper in the long haul. plus you get the upgraded STI heads.

depending on the severity of the creash you might want to check the engine for bent valves ect ect. the ej20 from my WRX wreck was completely fubar on the inside

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Guest subiecity
yea str8 swap, otherwise i think ur gonna be way in over your head by just bolting on the sti turbo, ur gonna have to change allotttaa shit as well, i dont think its worth the money

Alright well it seems that every one agrees on swaping the motor over just bolting on the turbo. To be honest haveing the STI motor in would make it a pretty nasty sleeper. A little more than i originaly wanted to do but it be woth it. Good look on the input.

Just sell the 2.5i and get an LGT instead if you want to turbo.

Here is your problem with just swapping the STi motor into the 2.5i. You would need to find a clutch to handle that power, you would also have to find someone skilled enough with wiring to let the Legacy electronics communicate with the STi ECU (Ignition, gauge cluster, etc) as it is not a simple plug and play type thing. You would also need to upgrade your fuel pump and get a FMIC if you don't plan on using a GT hood.

With all that work, you have a 300hp/300tq 2.5i, but the GT even with the stock 250hp/250tq has a LSD rear diff, bigger brakes, warranty incase something goes wrong, stronger tranny than the 2.5i, heated seats and dual zone climate control (only bringing that up because my old 2.5i didn't have it).

So unless your friend is giving you his motor for free, I wouldn't even bother with the headaches and costs that swapping a whole STi motor would bring when you can buy used LGTs for cheap.

Alright well it seems that every one agrees on swaping the motor over just bolting on the turbo. To be honest haveing the STI motor in would make it a pretty nasty sleeper. A little more than i originaly wanted to do but it be woth it. Good look on the input.

STi motor is no more sleeper than the Legacy GT motor.... maybe a little.

It would be a cool swap though.

With all that work, you have a 300hp/300tq 2.5i, but the GT even with the stock 250hp/250tq has a LSD rear diff, bigger brakes, warranty incase something goes wrong, stronger tranny than the 2.5i, heated seats and dual zone climate control (only bringing that up because my old 2.5i didn't have it).

FYI: The 2.5i Ltd ('05 was the only year of the 5MT) has bigger brakes than the standard 2.5i (though not as big as the GT), heated seats, leather, dual-zone climate control, and the 6-disc CD changer (120-watt) just like the GT.

In the level of adapting, easiness, labor, cost, etc.

1. swap whole drivetrain(engine,turbo,tranny,rear diff, ecu)

you get lsd's,6 speed, dccd, tranny cooler. most of the work is just swapping parts. probability of no parts being damaged from wreck- not good. excellent bling factor.

2. motor and tranny

lots of adapting to work properly. medium bling factor.

3. adding the sti turbo

even more adapting to work properly. bling factor.

Theres just to much room for error. The legacy at the moment is my only car and i dont wanna make it into a project where i cant get it done in a weekened. It comes down to time and money. If i had the cash and could inford the insurance i would have got the GT. But insurance companies dont give good prices to 20 year olds who already totaled a car at 16. But puting a turbo on myself would alow me to have a gt for the price of a na. Well see what happends more negatives right now than positives.

Theres just to much room for error. The legacy at the moment is my only car and i dont wanna make it into a project where i cant get it done in a weekend. It comes down to time and money. If i had the cash and could inford the insurance i would have got the GT. But insurance companies dont give good prices to 20 year olds who already totaled a car at 16. But puting a turbo on myself would alow me to have a gt for the price of a na. Well see what happends more negatives right now than positives.

You cant install a turbo kit, or a swap, in a weekend... Just too much work. I would definatly avoid the "turbo kit" (IE trying to install the STI turbo and associated piping onto an N/A motor) at all costs.

A real good sleeper would be a 94 Impreza L. Not only light, but if use a stock STi exhaust and a black front mount, you could truly have a real nice sleeper. ;)

Are you describing my car???

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Kostamojen/lowered2improved.jpg

:p

(No turbo engine swap yet though...)

Archived