LegacyGT.com

Have you heard the Alpine PLT-5 woofer?

thehikingdude

Even with the new amp/speaker/sound processor I'm really missing the bass I've become accustomed to over the years in past vehicles. Not sure which way to go quite yet.

Wondering if anybody has any experience with the Alpine PLT-5?

I lean towards the JL Stealthbox. If it were powered I'd do it in a heartbeat. Anything else I should consider for an Outback?

i have heard the plt-5 in a trunk and it does not have much output at all. it was really designed to go behind the seat of a single cab truck, because it ports out the top. i would look into the infinity basslink if you want a self amplified box, they seem to do well mounted in trunks...i am doing a false floor with a jl w3 12" in the spare tire well, with the amps flushed in.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have an Outback. The installer has one of the Alpine's on the showroom floor so I may ask to have them do a quick temp install just to check it out. In sure sounded good in the showroom, but having it inside the Outback will be the real test.

They have a larger one as well with 7" woofers as opposed to the 5" woofers. Still need to listen the PLT-5 before I move forward with anything.

Here's a link.

I suppose to continue down the stock look it would make more sense to go with the JL Audio Stealthbox for the Outback. Any amp suggestions going down that path?

I have a new outback wagon and just finished a small box with 2 elemental designs 9kv.2 8" subs in it and it sounds fantastic. I have them down firing and the box is angled and pushed up against the back seat. The box is really small, low profile and is almost invisible from outside the car and yet I still have tons of room for snowboards, gear or whatever. I don't know if there is a better price than the list price of the alpine, but I would think you could very easily build a great sounding small sealed box with either a single or a pair of smaller subs and if you need to buy an amp for way less than what something like the alipne would cost - the JL on the other hand might be worth the money for its custom design, but it is not totally stealth either and for me it was too spendy for my budget.:)

I have a new outback wagon and just finished a small box with 2 elemental designs 9kv.2 8" subs in it and it sounds fantastic. I have them down firing and the box is angled and pushed up against the back seat. The box is really small, low profile and is almost invisible from outside the car and yet I still have tons of room for snowboards, gear or whatever. I don't know if there is a better price than the list price of the alpine, but I would think you could very easily build a great sounding small sealed box with either a single or a pair of smaller subs and if you need to buy an amp for way less than what something like the alipne would cost - the JL on the other hand might be worth the money for its custom design, but it is not totally stealth either and for me it was too spendy for my budget.:)

That's the nice thing about the Alpine sub, it's got one of their high end PDX amps built right in. And yes, they are available for less than retail. Hopefully I will get a chance to hear one within a few days.

i would guess that being installed in an outback, the extra interior volume might decrease your big bass crunch----as opposed to a sedan; do they offer larger sized driver/woofer combos, or just the size listed??

Are you kidding? Nothing beats a wagon/hatchback in terms of free bass amplification! He's in an ideal situation.

Archived