LegacyGT.com

Crazy Kiwi Story about a race, a drunk guy and a dented subaru Legacy.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3938038a12855.html

A Coca-Cola merchandiser who admitted racing another car around the Basin Reserve moments before hitting an allegedly drunk pedestrian is angry he has to pay his victim reparation.

"It isn't my fault he stepped out in front of me."

Nigel Alan Adams, 28, of Porirua, has already spent $1400 repairing his damaged Subaru Legacy but says a dent in the roof where Samuel Brown's head hit is too expensive to fix.

Appearing in Wellington District Court yesterday, Adams pleaded guilty to careless driving causing injury and dangerous driving.

He had been heading down Kent Tce about 11.30pm on June 2 and began racing a car in the next lane as the vehicles rounded the Basin, reaching speeds of up to 80kmh in a 50kmh area.

He had slowed to about 60kmh when he saw Mr Brown attempting to cross Ellice St.

"I saw him standing on the road. Next thing I saw him coming through my windscreen. Thought I'd killed him at first," he told The Dominion Post.

The court heard Mr Brown had drunk about 10 beers when he stepped out on to the road, stopping midway then making a run for the pavement.

He was "flung" on to Adams' bonnet then fell to the ground, biting his tongue and suffering a cut chin, broken tooth, and grazes.

The collison happened near where Amy Edward-Mintorn, 23, was fatally struck by a speeding car in August. Adams' lawyer, Michael Kilbride, said his client accepted he had been speeding and would probably lose his job of four years with the loss of his licence. "He's devastated."

Judge Michael Radford said Adams was driving too fast and "generally misbehaving in your car with very nearly tragic consequences".

Adams was convicted on both charges, fined $750, disqualified for six months and ordered to pay $250 reparation.

Outside court, he rejected the label of a boy racer, saying he regretted his actions that night.

"I was just driving through town and I thought, `Yeah'. I went past this one car and I just put my foot down.

"For being drunk and unaware of where he was crossing, some of the responsibility should be his."

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Yikes! He was let off easy. In the US, it would be like $2.5 million, not $250.

I still think the whole story is hysterical since nobody was killed :icon_bigg

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived