LegacyGT.com

Cars for short drivers

My MIL is really short (<5') and she wants a new small car. I seem to recall seeing cars with adjustable height pedals in the past... but when I tried to find one, I couldn't find any. Is telescoping steering wheel plus seat height enough for most people? I'm worried about airbag deployment.

I'm thinking about a base MB C230, Volvo V40, or Acura TSX, but they don't have adjustable pedals. I saw that the Mazda 3 is supposed to be good for short drivers too. Any thoughts?

She's doesn't like to look for cars, so I have to narrow it down to 2 (maybe 3) before she goes to check it out.

AFIK, the only cars with adjustable pedals are cars from Chrysler.

I know Toyota Corolla's are designed for short people. At least when I was driving a rental. I'm 5'8" and in that car if I adjust the seat so my leg is extended to how I like it, I couldn't comfortable reach the steering wheel. If I set it up so I can reach the wheel, my legs were bunched up.

The Big 3 have adjustable pedals. That would be Chrysler, Ford and GM. Examples would be Chrysler 300 or Pacifica, Ford 500 and Chevy Malibu.

Toyota Camry has it too! Also most minivans and big trucks have it as an option.

IIIRC, it was only on the super top end of the Honda or Toyota minivan... either one is too big for my mother-in-law. I also noticed that some of the big expensive cars have it too like S-class and trucks.

I'm not a big fan of the Malibu.

Car-talk had a list of aftermarket pedal height thingies. Looks kind of ghetto. Maybe it's just a matter of looking for a car that seems to be designed for shorter people like the Corolla.

I've found that just because a car is small does not necessarily mean it is well suited for small people. Sometimes it's true, but sometimes it isn't. Also, she is old fashioned and wants a small 4 door sedan.

I just figured the C30 would have the same seating arrangement as the V40. Definitely on the list, but I'll have to go check it out. I might do that myself and just have a short salesperson sit in the car.

Archived