LegacyGT.com

Shifting problems

mightyS

I have the 5 speed manual in the regular Legacy GT. I am new to driving a manual in a car. I learned how to drive stick on tractors! On my car, 1st and 2nd gears seem to stick. I have to force the gear shift hard especially to get from 1st to 2nd. 3rd and 4th are very smooth. Is there a trick to get the gears to shift quicker and smoother? Will shifting become easier after I drive it more? I only have 650 miles on it.

Its still sticking even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor? Does it make a noise or anything? Honestly I'd take it to the dealer if I were you. Something might be bent or broken and you dont want to get locked into(or out of) a gear while you're on the road.

Well maybe sticking was the wrong word to describe it. It gets out the gear easily. It just takes some force to get it into 1st or 2nd. If I am not moving, I can push the clutch in and it shifts into all the gears smoothly. Once moving, it takes force to get it into 2nd. I'm not sure if it will be easier over time, or if I need to get it checked.

Hmmm. That sounds like a synchro issue. (Not necessarily a problem though) When moving, and not in traffic, try slightly pushing into gear (don't grind it) while revving up the engine slowly. You will find that it will fall smoothly into gear as the proper RPM range is attained. I suspect that the transmission is not syncing up in a way that you are expecting. When moving, all the gears are still turning which is why it's easier when the car is standing still to get it in the gear you want. But, I drive an AT. Maybe someone with an MT in their Legacy can elaborate?

I've found this transmission extremely easy to shift with or without the clutch. Either yours is rough to you becuase you are new to manual and you are not used to the effort needed or your car is really just stubborn which I can't tell because I would have to feel it myself to know. Never hurts to see the dealer if you have an issue though.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I do not think there is a problem with the transmission. It would help if you first push lightly in the direction you want to shift, and then shift all the way through with the clutch fully depressed. Do not try to jam the shift lever into gear. You'll find it easier and more natural as time goes on.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']I've found this transmission extremely easy to shift with or without the clutch. Either yours is rough to you becuase you are new to manual and you are not used to the effort needed or your car is really just stubborn which I can't tell because I would have to feel it myself to know. Never hurts to see the dealer if you have an issue though.[/QUOTE] I agree...my LGT shfting is a dream...especially compared to the WRX...where I had synchro problems downshifting into first....and also problems getting in to reverse.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

You will notice that it is easier to shift if you try to rev the rpms up to the lvl that the engine should be in in the gear that you are trying to enter. I normally cal this "bliping" the throttle just take your foot of the brake if you are slowing down and give the gas pedal a bit of a push and you will notice that the gears go in very easy. The synchros on this legacy are really great.. I love the feel of the shifting and have no problems at all. Try the rev matching (the blip) and see if it works. Parousia

Another good technique to learn is the double clutch. No need to really do it on the GT with the double cone synchronizers but it's a good technique to have in your back pocket when the trans fluid is particularly cold and the trans shifts are more difficult (i.e., during those cold Northeastern US winters) or you have to drive an old non-sychro'd transmission (e.g., 1940 Ford pickup with 2.5 feet between shift throws.). Here's the process: 1) Push the clutch all the way in 2) "Blip" the throttle slightly as Parousia mentioned and pull/push the shift lever into neutral - then let the clutch out while the transmission is still in neutral 3) Push the clutch all the way in again, shift into whatever gear you want to go into (up or down) - blip the throttle again - you're engine speed matching at this point so rev to the point that the engine would normally be at that speed 4) Let the clutch out and roll on. I've found this also works when you're having trouble getting into a lower gear say 3rd to 1st, e.g. auto-x downshift into first to power through a tight turn. With just a little practice you can do this very easily with no conscious thought at all. Just remember clutch in - blip, neutral, clutch out, clutch in, shift, blip to rev match, clutch out. You'll be good to go SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I often have to "blip" the throttle upon downshift before entering a turn as well. It's not really a problem though...[/QUOTE] That's actually a technique that I use on any downshift while carrying speed. Particularly helpful in matching the engine revs to the higher engine speed in the lower gear. Also helpful in keeping the turbo on the boil coming out the back side of the turn. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Subaguru']I've noticed something similar to this problem. When my lgt is cold, the gears seem to be harder to shift into, while when it's warmed up, it's almost effortless... anybody else notice this?[/QUOTE] That's normal behavior for every single manual transmission I have driven over the last 20 years or so. Wait until winter ... it will really be grouchy until the gear oil warms up. Synthetic gear oil solves this problem for the most part, but it's a little too slippery for Subaru synchros. Craig

Shifting is more difficult when it is cold. Once the engine if up to normal temp, it is easier. Maybe that is just the problem. I always give it a bit of gas to match the gear revs as I shift. I learned that in a hurry. The ride is not very smooth if you don't. Still, it takes more force to push the gear shift lever from 1st to 2nd. 3rd and 4th are very smooth and it take little effort to push the lever into these gears.

Maybe you should take it in.. let Subaru know the issue and if they say that its normal at least you have it documented in case in the future the synchro's go or something. I would say that since you are new to manual it will get easier as you get better at rev matching. BTW make sure you are not at to high of a speed for the gear. FWIW Some say that the gearing down puts to much wear on the drive train.. while I dont know about this perhaps you can ride the existing gear untill you reach a little lower speed using the brakes to scrub your speed. Parousia

Archived