LegacyGT.com

bike carrying options for 05 Leg GT Ltd sedan?

plunk10

I'm thinking about purchasing a bicycle and would like to know what the 05 Legacy sedan owners do about carrying their bikes around. I don't think we had roof racks as an option. Would a trailer hitch be the recommended solution? How about the racks that attach to the trunk lid? Thanks :)

Ow! Racks that attach to the trunk lid are a bad idea. First, they scratch your paint and second, they make your fancy bicycle a bumper substitute. I'm sure that if someone doesn't already make a roof rack system, they will. There are two other options, though. One is covering the back seat with a blanket and putting it back there, or popping the wheels off and putting it in the trunk. There's plenty of room. Some of us cyclists bought a wagon, so we just pop the liftgate, and put the bike inside, wheels and all. :D Kevin

Yakima or Thule will eventually make a roof system, I would bet by spring '05. Until then I'd stick to the trunk with the wheels off. Even upper end trunk racks can be sketchy for your paint, plus the point about being an extra bumper is very true.

Yakima has a system available now- Q racks with Q clips that fit the legacy sedan. (you can check out their website, it will tell you exactly) I haven't had time to get one yet, maybe next spring. If you only carry bikes occasionally you can use a trunk rack- just make sure you wash and wax before putting the rack on or you will scratch your paint. You can't load (or unload) anything in the trunk though while the bikes are on the back. Hitch mounts are nice, but you need to have a hitch installed. ;) Oh, and like the trunk mount, your nice bike does now become the bumper. :( tom

tom :)

Archived