LegacyGT.com

2002 Subaru TS Auto

lh0628

Hi guys,

I just made a deposit on a different car, it's a 2002 Impreza TS. The asking price is $13,300, we then agreed on $12,800, based on condition that it passes the inspection tomorrow (no repair over $500).

I've heard good things about the car, what do you guys think? The most major concern I have is reliability, so any comment on that would be appreiciated.

The car has 86k kms on, auto, white colour. The car drives fine except

- The acceleration wasn't that good, and when the car is moving, the engine has a 1 or 2 second delay when I press on the gas hard, is this normal?

- I noticed quite a few what looks like rock chips on the rare door panel and the side panel, and they have small rust spots, really tiny though, like dots almost. Would it be expensive to fix this?

- The central panel, especially the cd/radio panel looks scratched a bit, the owner had a cd in there and it didn't work. I'll bring one tomorrow and see if it works. Does anyone know if you can put in after market decks on these cars?

- Under the hood, all fluids are low, coolant, power steering, etc. I'm not sure if it's a possible problem, or maybe the owner just didn't take good care of the car. Also, on the side there are two wires attached to the frame, the owner said it's the ground for the battery, and there are a bit oil/grease built up around it. Anyone know what that is?

- On the warranty side, the car has 5yr/100k major component and corosion warranty, what does this cover exactly? Would it cover the rust spots I mentioned?

- He said the car had a problem with engine noise and it turned out to be a piston problem, SOC fixed it for free. Would this be a re-occuring problem?

One more question, I'm taking it to the local Subaru dealer for inspection, it costs about $100, they said it'll take an hour and I can't watch because the shop isn't 'safe'. Do you think it'll discover any problem the car might have?

I know this is a long long post, sorry for the eye strains, but I'd really appreiciate any input, as I might be purchasing the car tommorow.

1.) Having driven only a few auto transmission in my life, I would venture to say that it isn't abnormal, but definitely get a more expert opinion.

2.) Rust is never "minor". I'd guess that you'd want to have the areas in question sanded down and repainted. Gotta remove the rust before you can fix it.

3.) Yes, you can certainly install an aftermarket deck. You could also repaint that console trim or even buy some new or gently used replacement pieces.

4.) What does low mean? Below the low line or above? Being at low may indicated a lack of maintenance, but on the other hand those levels being "low" doesn't really hurt the car any.

5.) I don't think your rust spot would qualify since they are most likely the result of rock chips exposing metal.

6.) If SOC fixed it I doubt you'll ever hear it again. Not being an expert this is first I've heard of such an issue with those cars.

It is in the dealer's best interest to tell you everything that's wrong because that potential repair. If anything, I'd take their findings with a grain of salt as being overly cautious. They'd rather sell you car than tell you one from a private party is great. Just my opinion anyway.

1.) Having driven only a few auto transmission in my life, I would venture to say that it isn't abnormal, but definitely get a more expert opinion.

2.) Rust is never "minor". I'd guess that you'd want to have the areas in question sanded down and repainted. Gotta remove the rust before you can fix it.

3.) Yes, you can certainly install an aftermarket deck. You could also repaint that console trim or even buy some new or gently used replacement pieces.

4.) What does low mean? Below the low line or above? Being at low may indicated a lack of maintenance, but on the other hand those levels being "low" doesn't really hurt the car any.

5.) I don't think your rust spot would qualify since they are most likely the result of rock chips exposing metal.

6.) If SOC fixed it I doubt you'll ever hear it again. Not being an expert this is first I've heard of such an issue with those cars.

It is in the dealer's best interest to tell you everything that's wrong because that potential repair. If anything, I'd take their findings with a grain of salt as being overly cautious. They'd rather sell you car than tell you one from a private party is great. Just my opinion anyway.

Hey NutBucket,

Thanks for taking the time to awnser my questions.

I took the car to the dealer on Saturday, had a good talk with the GM and they had someone checked the car out, whom I suprisingly found out is actually a Master Mechanic (amazing there is one for a small city).

The fellow said the rusts spots are actually rail dusts that got sticked to the car when it was shipped, he showed me a brand new Legacy and there are areas that feels rough and it does feel like something got sticked onto the paint. He said it needs special solution to get rid of the rail dusts, and the ones on my car might just be sitting above the paint.

I looked at the coolant again, and it was in the middle between low and high, I guess the last time I saw it the engine hasn't cooled off completly.

But yeah, the deal settled at $12,800, which is pretty decent I think. One thing though the dealer said there's no record of the 72k service, and the transmission fluid and front/rear differential fluid need replacement.

Archived