LegacyGT.com

Should I get new speaker wires?

thehikingdude

I'm having (4) Alpine 6.5" R type speakers installed next week at the tune of $25 per speaker. Along with that I'm paying $120 to have a Alpine MRV-F345 75x4 amp installed. I haven't asked yet, but I should expect fully new speaker cabling to go to each speaker, correct? Not splicing into the existing cables which I'm really hoping they don't even consider. I'm thinking I need to discuss this with them just to be sure. Thoughts?

Knowing that the MRV-F345 generally measures at close to 100W per channel what wire gauge should I be asking for?

I'm of the opinion that unless the original wire REALLY REALLY sucks (24ga solid?), or you're running really big power (i.e. more than a door speaker can handle anyway) there's no point upgrading the wire unless it makes the installation easier.

There needs to be a contest like whatsisname's amp challenge, but for speaker wire. I'm sure nobody would win that money either.

In another thread it was mentioned that the stock speaker wiring is 18 ga. At this point I will be into this for about $1300 with the parts and labor (including Dynamat on all 4 doors).

Based on a conversation with the installer they generally use the stock wire. Of course he said I could have better wire installed but it would double the cost. I didn't ask for specifics but I'm figuring he meant $50 per door to run the wire rather than the standard $25 per door to use the stock wire.

So here's my question, for an additional $100 (less than 10% of the total system upgrade) is it going to make a difference? And if so, what gauge is going to make it worth my while. It would seem the difference between 18 and 16 is very insignificant, so going to 14 would seem more worthwhile.

Keep your comments coming. My install is scheduled for next Wednesday, 1/24, so I still have a few days to make a final decision.

Thanks, Jeff

There needs to be a contest like whatsisname's amp challenge, but for speaker wire. I'm sure nobody would win that money either.

It's been done. I think it was MonsterCable vs. 16ga lamp cord and the lamp cord won the blind listening tests by a fair margin. You should be able to dig up something on it in google.

People will argue forever on speaker wire. That's why you've got people who'll run only solid silver wire to their tweeters because they can hear the difference. I enjoy good sound as much as the next guy but I'm not that picky, or rich.

People will argue forever on speaker wire. That's why you've got people who'll run only solid silver wire to their tweeters because they can hear the difference. I enjoy good sound as much as the next guy but I'm not that picky, or rich.

I suspect that A/B/X testing would show that the people buying the silver wire aren't actually that picky either, they just like to think that they are.

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering over this too, but on a DIY installation

in a 1997 Legacy Outback.

I'm going to put the amp under the passenger seat (any

other suggestions ?). Regardless of where the amp, it

looks like a major PITA to run new speaker wires.

Anyone know what guage is in the 97 OB stock ?

Archived