LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel Off-Center, dealer can't fix it.

I need advice on as what to do. As you all know i was in an accident 6 months ago. The A-frame and Control Arm was replaced as they were both bent. The car has never been the same since ...

The alignment always felt like it was off center but after i hit a speed bump i finally decided to get it fixed. The Alignment is now fixed, however the steering wheel is off center. They have had the car twice now to get this fixed but they can't seem to do it. On a road that leans right, if i turn the wheel to the center it goes left. If i put the steering wheel slightly off center to the left the car stays pretty much straight.

What to do??

I love my car ... basically.

So on a level surface, does the car pull to one side? If not, you should be able to adjust the threaded rods (steering arms? forget the actual term) and equal number of turns on both sides to move the wheel back to center. Centering the wheel is part of an alignment which is what's got me confused.
ignore him, he'll go away.

So on a level surface, does the car pull to one side? If not, you should be able to adjust the threaded rods (steering arms? forget the actual term) and equal number of turns on both sides to move the wheel back to center. Centering the wheel is part of an alignment which is what's got me confused.

the car with the steering wheel centered will pull to the left on a flat road.

a good alignment shop should be able to center wheel easily. lock the steering wheel in center position and adjust both toe settings to spec's should be good to go. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

a good alignment shop should be able to center wheel easily. lock the steering wheel in center position and adjust both toe settings to spec's should be good to go. bosco

Are they going to be able to do a better job than the dealer? Is there any time of specialized alignment machine that i can look up to find its local availability?

Do dealer shops just have no idea what they are doing in this area?

mine is doing the same thing but to the right. never been in an accident of any kind. my guess is that the alignament machine is way out of wack. last time i had my car aligned the wind in the shop was messing with the alignament sensors so the tech could not star till they closed the shop bay doors.

yup. if you were in the cleveland area i could reccomend white wheel for you. somehow they do it without the lift, and laser machines, but every single car that i had aligned with them tracked straight as hell.

Are they going to be able to do a better job than the dealer? Is there any time of specialized alignment machine that i can look up to find its local availability?

Do dealer shops just have no idea what they are doing in this area?

i can't speak for your dealership all i know is this should be a simple job. look up in phone book for alignment shops or http://www.hunter.com state of the art machines. even if the suspension was tweaked you should be able to center wheel the car pulling to one side with wheel centered is a whole different ball game. find a pro. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Centering the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rods is no big deal. I haven't done it on a Subaru, but I have on my Mustang GT. Any half way decent alignment shop should be able to do that for you. It is not normally part of an alignment, so you will probably have to pay extra.
It is still ugly.

the car with the steering wheel centered will pull to the left on a flat road.

Forget about the steering wheel center, does the car pull to one side on a level surface? If not, the alignment is good and you can adhust the tie rods and equal amount to center the wheels. I believe this thread should help:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40356&highlight=center+steering+wheel+adjust

not so, it is part of an alignment. bosco

Right, first part... well second. 1st, drive car onto rack. 2nd, center steering wheel.

ignore him, he'll go away.

yup. if you were in the cleveland area i could reccomend white wheel for you. somehow they do it without the lift, and laser machines, but every single car that i had aligned with them tracked straight as hell.

well when you have a guy in there that can do it the old fashion way, sometimes that works best.

Archived