LegacyGT.com

How bad can this be (suspension damage)

DaveZ

OK first time in snow in my legacy, and though I am experienced in snow I've never driven a 4WD in snow, did not expect the acceleration you get even on the slippery stuff...anyway, pulled out of a side street, main street like ice, ended up sideways into a curb. Ouch.

Left (strike side) rear wheel is now in a positive camber, while the right is slightly negative.

Any experience out there for how much trouble this is likely to be?

I'm thinking $500 - $750, looks like the lower arm is compressing the bushing into the lower subframe but neither looks bent, in which case it looks pretty straightforward.

I suppose that lower arm could be bent and replacing that'll be on the higher end of cost.

Considering I have a $1000 deductible, I'll just deal with this myself.

Worst case I suppose would be lower subframe bent, as well as lower arm, in which case, what else do you think would have been messed up?

I had the exact thing happen to me on New Years day! My total bill for the fix was around $600.00. ($800.00 with tow) Bent control arm, wheel bearing noise, bushings,etc. and alignment. I also cosmetically trashed the front rim but it did not bend. after a week of looking at it, I placed an order today with Subydude for a Rota Tarmac 3 pkg.

All in all I was pretty relieved that it was "only" $800.00. Hope your mishap costs you less.

Hi Komodo - thanks, I appreciate your sharing. Helps to have a ballpark. Heck I can drive my car and no wheel damage, so I'm hoping I'm closer to $500 than $1000. Goes in tomorrow. Will let y'all know...

Well, it is $70 - had it checked on the way home, no damage, needed an alignment though. Only issues is that I can still hear a bit of a hum from the back, could be a bearing, though the tech checked the wheel and it did not appear to have issues. He said come back in a month if it gets worse.

The gasket I saw that looked compacted was the sway bar link, no issue there, it is an articulated link. And the wheel was at a neutral camber, so it really did not get knocked very hard (other side is at a standard slightly negative camber).

Looks like may have dodged a bullet. I have to go off on a 2 week trip, then I'll be back driving and I'll see of the noise is for real or just from the snow on the roads.

Archived