LegacyGT.com

Just picked up the new 2005 Legacy 2.5i - 3 days later it wont start!

Hi

My first post on the forum. We just picked up a 2005 Legacy 2.5i this past weekend. Very nice car, smooth and quiet. We like it a lot until this morning, the car failed to start. The car is still under warranty but this is worrying us because the car only has 18K miles and been at our house for only 3 days...

The problem is not battery related (tried the jump and later determine the battery was cranking out the right amps). I'm guessing its an ignition system problem, as the engine is able to fully crank but unable to fully start. Sounds kind of like a distributor problem, but since the car is DBW, i'm not sure how the ignition system works.

As my first post, could I get some resource links on the Legacy's ignition system? Also, has anyone else have ignition problems on such a new car?

we'll be calling the dealership to tow it tomorrow morning...

Here's some pics:

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/78441/lagacy1.jpg

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/78441/lagacy2.jpg

Solidfish

I have the same model, owned since new and not had any mechanical problems, just a few interior trim piece issues.

On "but since the car is DBW", I take that to mean "drive-by-wire" which has nothing to do with the ignition system. There is still a coil, distributor, wires and plugs.

I had the same issue with my Accord, which was the ignitor which is inside the distributor cap.

Hope you are back on the road soon and can let us know what the issue is/was.

keep in mind that even if said battery had enuff amps, if the cables to battery are loose, corroded, fubar-ed, etc, it won't crank at all----turn the key---nothing, so anything is possible........

and believe me i can totally empathise with you on your dissappointment, i had a brand new olds that wouldn't start after it rainded-----7 trips and 2 calls to the bbb later, it was miracously fixed-----

We ended up getting the Subaru fixed, kindof. Nobody knows what the problem was. The towtruck person came to pick it up. Gave the car a long crank (like 10 - 15 seconds) and the engine spurted and then started. Still took it to the dealer but they couldnt determine what the problem was. Its running like new now.

These times of 'mystery' problems worry me even more...

yea, sounds like a feul prob; low pressure, extreme lean condition etc

if the ecm doesn't get the correct input/output signals, a lot of engines won't start to prevent damage, similar to the way low oil press sensor readings will lead to a no-start

typically, electrical gremlins will result in either no crank no start or long crank no start......

The car was 3 days old. Dealer gave us a full tank and we only drove 70 or so miles since the incident. You ask water in gas and I have no idea how that would be possible on a new car. The engine bay was not washed (didnt need to be as it was new from factory) and unless the dealer poured water into the tank, I dont find that to be possible.

My guess is that due to cold weather (im in denver), something with the fuel system froze to cause the delay. The dealer did their tests and couldnt figure it out, so its really anybody's guess...

Happens again and we might sell before the warranty gets up.

Water could have been in the system from condensation, especially if there had lots of air/low fuel in the system before the car was sold to you.

Also a possibility is that moisture that crept into some of the electronics. Usually not an issue but if the car had been sitting for some time before you bought it, it may have collected somewhere.

The most likely though is moisture in the tank/fuel system or the freezing as mentioned.

Well, if that was the reason, it would be more reassuring for us. Other than that little hickup, its been 2 weeks and absolutely no problems.

I've been asking this on some other threads but does Subaru not give free services (oil change, etc) during the 3yr/36k mile warranty???

Thanks

Archived