LegacyGT.com

How does dealer trade work?

RedDevil

What is the general process of getting a car that was dealer traded to where you are purchasing the car from? I mean, when you are buying a vehicle off the lot, you get the chance to inspect and drive it before deciding to take it or not. However for a dealer trade, you can't even do a visual inspection of the car until the dealer makes the trade. The only info you can really get is the options and how many miles are on the odometer. What if the car doesn't drive right, or the mileage is higher than previously listed? Can you back out from it at all? Or from a dealer's perspective, how can they make sure that the customer would take delivery of the car? Would they require a non-refundable deposit from the customer, since they would be the one taking the hit on their inventory if the customer backs out? Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Our policy (I worked for a BMW dealer) was at least a $1000 non-refundable deposit, with the conditions that the vehicle was in new condition and that everything worked as it should. That way if things were dicked up, it was a breach of contract that the customer could get out of. Otherwise if the car was just fine and they got cold feet, we got $1000 for our troubles.

The deposit by the way would be refuned, or applied towards the purchase price, it was not an additional charge.

Keep in mind though that it costs the dealer quite a bit of money in most cases to trade a car, since they have to pay a driver to drive a traded car up and the purchased on back. If that wasn't acceptable to the customer a truck would be hired (that is how we did all BMW dealer trades), and that costs eve more money. Money they could apply to a discount on a car they have on hand.

What is the general process of getting a car that was dealer traded to where you are purchasing the car from? I mean, when you are buying a vehicle off the lot, you get the chance to inspect and drive it before deciding to take it or not. However for a dealer trade, you can't even do a visual inspection of the car until the dealer makes the trade. The only info you can really get is the options and how many miles are on the odometer. What if the car doesn't drive right, or the mileage is higher than previously listed? Can you back out from it at all? Or from a dealer's perspective, how can they make sure that the customer would take delivery of the car? Would they require a non-refundable deposit from the customer, since they would be the one taking the hit on their inventory if the customer backs out? Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.

By "trade" I think you mean swap. When we swap cars this usually doesn't come up. Depending on where the other dealership is, we usually let the customer know how many miles to expect the car to have. Its still a new car, its still under warrenty. Iv done dozens of swaps myself, only once was a car ever damaged, and I did not accept it. I had never come across a car with mechcanical or driving issues. Every once and a while we will have a customer like yourself. We then would simply agree upon the sale "pending a sucessful test drive". But like the above mentioned, it costs a dealer a great deal of money and man power to swap a car in, so usually a strong and/or nonrefunable deposit is important. Inconclusion, there is nothing to worry about.

Archived