LegacyGT.com

Front swaybar upgrade, is it recommended?

Kraziken

I've browsed much of the Subaru forums. I had actually attempted to buy a Whiteline 22mm front swaybar, but the shop was clearing them out, and I just missed out on the last one. It doesn't seem like a lot of folks swap the front swaybar. So I was looking at a 22mm front and a whiteline adjustable 20-24mm rear. It wouldn't appear to be that big of a change, when I've looked up some other speed parts. I just bought my wife a Lexus IS300 (ok, I know, she's spoiled). I checked out the upgraded swaybars for this car, and they are running 28mm front and 17mm rear sway bar for the eibach set. I'm guessing they are running a very aggressive front bar, since the IS300 is a rear wheel powered car? I'm about to make that whiteline order, so anyone with the whiteline front swaybar have any feedback? Thanks

• 1 month later...
From what I've experienced and read... a larger front bar may not be neccessary, or give good bang for buck. First choice is a larger and/or adjustable rear bar, end links, and good tires. After stepping up to a good hardened strut top, AGX/GR2/Ver5-6 strut, WL/HR/Eibach/Prodrive Spring combo... a front STB bar can benefit. Personally I've added front end links prior to experimenting w/ a larger bar itself. This has given good results, along with replaced steering rack bushings (hardened) for quicker steering response to compliment a faster bar effect in the front. You may consider a "comfort" ALK in the front prior to spending $ on the front bar. Some have reported great improvements w/ the WL ALK. :idea:

KK....I previously had the whiteline front sway bar on my car but had to take it off when I got my Borla headers as they rubbed and made a funky noise kind of like the most annoying sound made by Jim Carrey (or the other guy) in dumb and dumber. Anyhoo, when I went back to the stock bar I noticed little if any change. I also have an ALK, front endlinks, H&R's and KYB's to round out my suspension (oh, and a STB). So, I owuld say only do it if you have the money to spare or want that extra little edge, but I really don't think it is a neccessity or something that will give you vast changes.

In order to maintain balance after installing ALK and rear bar I went for a front bar. The car was frikin nightmare without it. Heavy braking resulted in huge rear end twitches that were sometimes hard to control (esp. on track) I already had Eibach springs and end links on at this stage, and it really screwed the handling up. Addition of the front bar brought balance back to the world, and all was better. :D Just IMHO:)

I decided to go for it. I believe most people just swap an outback rear bar (18mm) or the adjustable 19-20-21mm bar. I really want the more aggressive rear 20-24 whitleline rear bar, so I figure to keep it balanced, I'd need an upgraded front. I already have whiteline control springs and KYB GR-2's. Handling has greatly improved, but the body roll in mid to high speed corners I was not happy with. As an experiement, I ordered just the front swaybar first. I looked up Whiteline's catalog and it indicated that the larger 22mm front would increase stiffness about 46%. I got the bar installed last night, and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's a subtle change, and I suspect the rear bar will make a more dramatic effect. Still I do feel less body roll, and initial turn in response appears to be sharper. I haven't had an opportunity to push it hard enough to experience understeer. All I can say is low to mid speed cornering has definately improved. Overall I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. I'm considering taking the Legacy to the track, so I figure I'd go with the biggest swaybars available. :P After I get the rear bar installed, then I probably will look at replacing endlinks and the the ALK kit.

Archived