LegacyGT.com

Brake kit suggestions

dshin525

Im looking to upgrade my brakes. I was thinking Brembos but then I came across the prodrive kit and they just made me drool.

Anyone here run them? Are they worth teh $2000 price tag?

I came across a brand new set of brembos for $1150 and was about to jump on them but the prodrives are just sick.

for $2000 or even $1150, they better be able to handle an enduro race ;)

pads, tires and brake fluid does plenty.. getting bigger rotors only increase heat capacity (which is for continuous hard braking for long periods of time).. I dont think you do braking from 120+ mph down to 30 mph literally every 30 seconds to 45 seconds for the next 25 minutes. Even then, you can just get air ducts and better brake pads to get the job done.

Keefe

carbotech bobcats or hawk HPS for now for street use.. if you want to spend the money for some really nice DUSTLESS high temperature pads, get Endless SS-M.

Call up http://www.brakeswap.com or http://www.gtworx.com and they will get you the right pad for your needs.. just saying " I need pads" is really too broad of a question to ask. If you want a lot of bite, get the carbotech bobcats, if you want something that dust less, but not as hard of a bite, you can get the HPS.. if you want something dustless and can handle a lot of repeative braking for city use and have easy modulation, get the SS-M.

Remember, depending of what you do, your pads will need to match your needs and conditions. It's obvious that I can't reccommend you guys a track-type brake pad for street use because they dont even bite until you get them hot... so trying to do short quick stops isnt going to bite as well as a street pad will. Same goes for operating temperatures and Im sure most of you guys dont want noisy track pads.

Keefe

Brake kits were explained to me in a very simple way on another forum. If you can lock up your wheels with your brakes, you've got enough and your tires are your limiting factor. Aftermarket pads, better fluid, and SS lines (if you prefer their feel) is all most people will ever need.

Otherwise, as Xenonk already mentioned, larger rotors will increase mass and reduce brake fade and will only really help you if you are repeatedly stopping, i.e. track or autocross.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Consider this:

If you don't want to run track pads, but drive your car like it is on the track a BBK may help you get the most out of street pads. FWIW I can overheat my Bobcats on the street w/o too much difficulty.

I really like the AP racing set-up with Ferrodo 2500 pads. iON has a real nice kit (but they don't seem to care about us mere mortals anymore, only big dollar fancy stuff) but I will likely get Rallitek's AP racing front BBK. Then you can get more out of a street pad set-up, if that is what you want.

what about for those with STI swaps or larger turbos? everyone i've talked to say it's almost a must have. I autocross mine and drag, doing the STI swap this weekend. I'm told i need told i need to do the fronts at the very least in the next 4 or 5 months (beginning of the season). thoughts from you racing experts??
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

what about for those with STI swaps or larger turbos? everyone i've talked to say it's almost a must have. I autocross mine and drag, doing the STI swap this weekend. I'm told i need told i need to do the fronts at the very least in the next 4 or 5 months (beginning of the season). thoughts from you racing experts??

IMO you need pads, all four, not just the fronts!

A BBK is not at all needed, unless you are a little psychotic!

ok, you do not know how i drive.... ;)

so i guess i am that psychotic driver that waits til the last second and BRAKES!!! kills my husband. i can't help it, i'm very spirited driver. however, i drive 80% for my job and now that I'm opening my own business I'll be driving even more. I'd imagine getting new brake pads for all 4 will certainly help, but my husband insists that i do front brake kit and a rear brake kit (i don't think the rear is necessary, but pad would do the job).

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived