LegacyGT.com

Installing a Down-pipe, questions

stephenahood

-the INVIDIA pipe came with gaskets, do these go on as delivered or does any gasket spray or stuff out of the tube need to be added?

-I noticed there are new bolts and nuts at the exhaust side, but just nuts at the turbo, are the existing studs OK?

-there is a fitting on the pipe for an 0-2 sensor, but I have an AP and was going to go Stage 2, wouldn't this eliminate the sensor?

-can the stock pipes and both CATS all come off as one piece?

-is there any break-in period once the pipe is on before I redline it?

Thanks.

Slow down champ. When doing the uppipe there is a sensor that you need a 02 wrench for in the manifold (others will argue but they are wrong :lol: )

Do the uppipe and the DP at the same time.

Put antisease on it when you put the sensor back in (put antisease on all threads; just a little though, very little)

Use oem gaskets and give them a light spray with the copper spray.

Well, my INVIDIA down pipe is in, the fit was perfect, a few questions:

-the heat shielding came off in two pieces, I've heard this needs to be trimmed to be put back on, does the lower piece just get left off??

-I have an AP running stage 1, with just the down pipe should I go to stage 2??

Thanks.

Alot of people suggest not going to st 2 with the catted uppipe still in there. Possibility of something happening is greater. The lower heatshield, I know with my Cobb downpipe I dont think you could put it back on. I didnt want it on anyways, so I left it off. And I did have to trim the turbo heatshield to put it back on with the Cobb downpipe, but I like it, looks good. Cobb even gives you instructions on where to cut it if you get their downpipe, so that was pretty sweet. Have fun modding..

Slow down champ. When doing the uppipe there is a sensor that you need a 02 wrench for in the manifold (others will argue but they are wrong :lol: )

Do the uppipe and the DP at the same time.

Put antisease on it when you put the sensor back in (put antisease on all threads; just a little though, very little)

Use oem gaskets and give them a light spray with the copper spray.

I may be wrong :icon_wink , but you don't necessarily need an O2 wrench, use a 22mm ring spanner (yes spanner, not wrench), disconnect the sensor and thread the cable throught the ring, then just one good yank, and pull it free .

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, :icon_wink but the o2 sensor wrench will make your life easier and can be rented for free from any major parts chain. Do it to save yourself the hassle since something else will probably happen or go wrong to drive you crazy! :lol:

For trimming the heat shield you can use a large set of snips depending on how much you need to trim. If you have access to air tools, then use the ginder.

I also like the copper paste better than spray but YMMV.

Good luck!

I may be wrong :icon_wink , but you don't necessarily need an O2 wrench, use a 22mm ring spanner (yes spanner, not wrench), disconnect the sensor and thread the cable throught the ring, then just one good yank, and pull it free .

:icon_conf I would have thought that the ring spanner was too big, you learn something new every day :lol::lol:

The disconnecting and pulling it down is a PITA becuse it tied to the block in 2 places and you will never get it back in :icon_wink This is how I did my fist up/dp install then I went out and bought the right tool and used it 9 times since.

:icon_conf I would have thought that the ring spanner was too big, you learn something new every day :lol::lol:

The disconnecting and pulling it down is a PITA becuse it tied to the block in 2 places and you will never get it back in :icon_wink This is how I did my fist up/dp install then I went out and bought the right tool and used it 9 times since.

It's a PITA, but if it saves me $10, I'll do it :lol:

The plastic cable ties have barbed nipples that are pushed into holes on the case, if you gently prise them out with a screwdriver they can be reused. I've only had to do it twice, 9 times and they might snap off :(

Well, my INVIDIA down pipe is in, the fit was perfect, a few questions:

-the heat shielding came off in two pieces, I've heard this needs to be trimmed to be put back on, does the lower piece just get left off??

-I have an AP running stage 1, with just the down pipe should I go to stage 2??

Thanks.

I got my Invidia UP and Down pipes back from being ceramic coated on Friday and installed them today.:icon_cool

perfect fit, no leaks. It was actually alot easier than I thought it was going to be. Those heat shields are a PITA though.

I pitched the bottom heat shield and just reinstalled the top heatshield after trimming it a bit to fit.

Saves your $10 who has a 22mm ring spanner laying around?? :lol:

Only twice on my car I do things right the first time ;) (one for the up/dp once for the turbo swap) I have helped a lot of the locals do theres though

I have all sorts of tools lying around, they used to lie around at my old work place too, seemed a waste to let them go rusty :lol:

Once to the the UP/DP, then again when I installed the GT Spec headers, never had a leak :p

Archived