LegacyGT.com

What does this mean??

petmor

I was out with the car today and all of a sudden the VDC light goes on and in the odometer I get the text Er HC.

Went to the dealer and he had no clue. He said that I should return if the problem occurs again.

When I turned the ignition off and started the car once more, it disappeared.

Has anybody experienced this and could somebody tell me what Er HC means?

Peter

The Err HC means the Body Integrated Unit has detected a problem with the high-speed CAN (controller area network), which is a communications system that allows sensors and control modules to communicate with each other.

The flashing VDC light means the VDC control module has detected a problem and stored one or more trouble codes. The VDC control module relies on the high-speed CAN for communications between it and the transmission control module and the engine control module, so the trouble code(s) are likely related to the high-speed CAN problem.

This has nothing to do with the engine control module. If it had detected a problem, it would have turned on the check engine light and started flashing the cruise control light.

I had the same issue with my 2006 Outback VDC. I read in another forum, (I can't remember where) that sometimes the fuse for the VDC is not seated all the way into its socket. It's located in the engine compartment fuse box, labelled VDC. Sure enough, when I looked it was not all the way in. I pushed it in and the problem went away. By the way, turning the car off and on did not solve it for me, so yours may be very marginal. I understand that the electronics for the VDC and the high speed network are very voltage sensitive and the fuse position may cause slight changes in voltage supply to the circuits especially when going over bumps etc. So check it out.

Archived