LegacyGT.com

One of those "Is this a good deal?" posts

Xee

I've been planning on getting a '05 GT but have been been putting ir off until I get a full-time job. Recently though, I've found myself putting more and more money into my '92 Taurus more and more frequently. Did some thinking and realized that an 2.5i would be a much better decision economically-wise; the insurance would be cheaper not to mention I could probably get the car now. I inquired a dealer about a barebone '05 2.5i manual and he said: "I would be willing to let that car go for $19,811 plus tax title ad fees." Does this sound like a good price? Or is it something I can afford to pass up?

get the invoice price for the model you want from [url]www.edmunds.com[/url] and pay no more than $500 above invoice no matter what. many people got one for $100~400 above invoice, some got [b]at or below[/b] invoice.

This Space For Rent

Email local dealers for quotes. I was able to get $200 below invoice on a Legacy GT Limited within a few days. I let the dealers know that I was going to make a decision within a week and the dealer with the best offer would earn my business. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Invoice on the 2.5i manual car is $19.6 without the $575 destination fee, which pushes the price to roughly $20.2. So, yes, it's a good deal. You're getting below invoice, if the destination fee is included (ask him). If the destination fee is NOT included, it's only a pretty good deal, one that you could pass up if so inclined. Good luck, Kevin

also ask them what other fees (ad. fee, handling and doc. fee, and whatnot) they charge. anything more than $299 is rip off (again, many people didn't pay any additional "fee").

This Space For Rent

[quote name='clearcornea']Email local dealers for quotes. I was able to get $200 below invoice on a Legacy GT Limited within a few days. I let the dealers know that I was going to make a decision within a week and the dealer with the best offer would earn my business. I wouldn't do it any other way.[/QUOTE] When getting quotes from different dealerships, get OTD (out the door) pricing. This way you know everything is already included such as taxes, title, shipping, etc. -Moto

Thanks for all the suggestions. I emailed him asking him about the fees and if the destination charge was included. I've only asked this dealership because they're the only one who has the car I want (Regal Blue, manual, no options) and I want to get it by the end of this week at the latest if possible. I won't be telling them that though (I hope they don't visit this forum). *EDIT* Was reading up tips on buying cars and I came across this one: "[b]5. Shop around.[/b] Say for a second you didn't know any of the numbers. Say you were in a jam and had one morning to get a new car. You could probably get a good deal by shopping around. You can do this in person or on the phone — or even with e-mail. What you do is this. Contact dealer number one. Tell the salesperson, "I'm ready to buy today but I want your best price on the car." When the salesperson gives you his best price, write it down. Or, if you are doing this in person, have him write it on the back of their business card. Now contact dealer number two and do the same thing. Only, tell them you have already been to dealer number one and you got such and such price. Then, repeat the mantra: "I'm ready to buy today. But I want your best price." Naturally, they will try to undercut the first guy's offer. Now contact dealer number three and do the same thing. By now you should have three offers. If you want, you can even go back to the first guy and see if he will whittle a few more bucks off his offer. If not, can the dealer throw in something else to make their offer more attractive? The beauty of this is that the market will define itself in a short period of time. And when you're done, you will be confident that you got the best price possible. Incidentally, dealers hate it when you shop their offer. They hate it because it can get you a very good price. " What do you all think? The only reason why this may not work is that no other dealer within 200 miles has a Regal Blue, 2.5i manual with no options. How can they negotiate a price for something they don't have?

A tactic that was suggested (or implied) somewhere else here, and worked wonders for me, was to tell them you would soon qualify for the IMBA VIP program that would let you purchase at invoice, and see if they offer you the same deal immediately. The dealer wants to sell cars now, not in the future, and may be happy to sell it for "nothing" (presuming their is a holdback) and hope for more through financing and other fees. Someone claimed that all Subaru dealers in California had a required "ad fee", however it was never mentioned when I bought my car in Northern California. If this dealer is telling you there is an advertising fee, I'd call BS on it and insist on invoice or a few bucks more.

[quote name='anotherbrian']A tactic that was suggested (or implied) somewhere else here, and worked wonders for me, was to tell them you would soon qualify for the IMBA VIP program that would let you purchase at invoice, and see if they offer you the same deal immediately. The dealer wants to sell cars now, not in the future, and may be happy to sell it for "nothing" (presuming their is a holdback) and hope for more through financing and other fees.[/QUOTE] That sounds interesting. I just might try that. I actually joined up with the IMBA about three months ago. Didn't get any of the promised "membership card, stickers, and member handbook" though, just a couple free biking magazines.

[quote name='anotherbrian']A tactic that was suggested (or implied) somewhere else here, and worked wonders for me, was to tell them you would soon qualify for the IMBA VIP program that would let you purchase at invoice, and see if they offer you the same deal immediately. The dealer wants to sell cars now, not in the future, and may be happy to sell it for "nothing" (presuming their is a holdback) and hope for more through financing and other fees. Someone claimed that all Subaru dealers in California had a required "ad fee", however it was never mentioned when I bought my car in Northern California. If this dealer is telling you there is an advertising fee, I'd call BS on it and insist on invoice or a few bucks more.[/QUOTE] The dealer I purchased my car from tried to include advertising fees and an inflated transfer charge and I negated them both. Bought for $100 over invoice (plus tax, transfer) but that was with SOA's guaranteed trade program. I shopped around and went to this dealer last (as I had with my WRX before). It pays to have other offers in hand before you go to where you would prefer to buy the car. I also had to educate the sales manager on SOA's guaranteed trade in program - he initially offered me $400 less than what SOA guaranteed.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

*Update* Got an offer from an out-of-state dealer (about 2 hours away) for $19,500 plus sales tax and $98 for plates and title. He didn't say anything about any fees. I'm trying to figure out exactly how much tax I'd be paying and if it'd be worth it. At least I've got something to use against the local dealer who wanted $19,811 + fees; maybe he'll come down.

[quote name='Xee']*Update* Got an offer from an out-of-state dealer (about 2 hours away) for $19,500 plus sales tax and $98 for plates and title. He didn't say anything about any fees. I'm trying to figure out exactly how much tax I'd be paying and if it'd be worth it. At least I've got something to use against the local dealer who wanted $19,811 + fees; maybe he'll come down.[/QUOTE]When I bought my S2000 out of state (Joliet, IL [near Chicago]) and drove it home, the dealer only charged $14 (it was for the temp permit to operate it in IL as I drove it out). Do consider the difficulty/cost of getting to the dealership, and the potential risk of arriving there and not finding the car you expected. I used freq flyer miles to fly out from CA, with a next day return in case the car wasn't as promised, and sweated it the entire time, as I was buying it contingent on it being straight off the truck (wait to PDI until I arrive, no miles). They had a limo waiting at O'Hare, and it turned out to be the perfect transaction (Kim Tornabeni [sp?] and her husband at Joliet Honda are highly recommended!). If IL is anything like CA, you'll pay the sales tax to IL when you register the vehicle there.

[quote name='anotherbrian']If IL is anything like CA, you'll pay the sales tax to IL when you register the vehicle there.[/QUOTE] Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. The dealership is in Wisconsin and they have a 5% sales tax. Illinois has 6.25%. So what happens is you have to pay the difference (1.25%) plus another .75% (don't ask me why). On top of that, my county (Cook) throws on another .75% so altogether I'll be paying 7.75% tax. Still, it'd be the same if I just bought the car in IL in the first place so I'm seriously considering the one in Wisconsin. The only thing is it's black and I wanted a regal blue. The only regal blue in Wisconsin has fog lights and he offered "$20,860.00 (plus tax, title, license and $50.00 service fee)"; that's almost $400 over invoice for that option. No thanks.

Xee -- You wouldn't pay any tax to WI. You'd pay IL taxes (+ county...) when you go to register it. I ordered our Odyssey from Chicago and drove it back to MA and they were like "wow - good deal" because I only had 5% MA tax instead of the high Chicago taxes (would've been like 8.75% or something there). Sane thing with my LGT (from Maine) -- paid MA tax, not ME.

Well, it looks like I'll be going with the out-of-state guy. He said $19,500 before tax + $98 for license and title with no extra fees added on. If he holds true to his offer, that's almost $800 below invoice! I've emailed a couple of the nearby dealerships with his offer by I doubt anyone would be willing to beat/match it. The only thing is the color is my "second" choice but I'm sure it will be fine. Now, I just got to find someone to teach me stick well enough in the next couple of days so I can drive the car back by myself. [IMG]http://inat.org/Images/Smilies/lol.gif[/IMG]

MSRP Invoice National Base Price TMW A note about advertising fees $29,795 $27,386 $28,133 Regional Adjustment for Zip Code Change - - $102 Optional Equipment $476 $295 $359 K4E Auto-Dimming Mirror Compass $183 $119 $142 U5A Cross Bar Set, Square $150 $85 $108 M5G Rear Cargo Tray, Ivory $75 $46 $56 M5B Rear Side Cargo Nets $68 $45 $53 Color Adjustment - - -$45 Obsidian Black Pearl Destination Charge $575 $575 $575 Total with Options $30,846 $28,256 $29,124 Paid - $28,256 Sergej

Archived