LegacyGT.com

long term trial: pzeroM/S v. Proxes 4.

lemming

i read with interest the poll/thread about the two tires. i had a great experience with the P Zero Nero's on the STi and got through a winter no problem with those in the 18" size. the tires obviously were not the optimal tire for snow, but got through some serious snowfall just fine. if anything, the short-ish wheelbase of the STi wreaked more havoc (combined with the power) than the tires. 'had the prior generation Toyo FZ4's on the 325 xi wagon and those tires got through anything, anywhere, no problem. now that there are two legacy GT's (1 sedan, 1 wagon), i thought it would be neat to outfit them in either tire. the wagon has the Proxes 4 and the sedan has the Nero M&S tires. no snow yet, but in plenty of rainfall and in ideal dry conditions both tires are quite good. the sidewalls of both are not as stiff as, for example, the S03PP or RE070, but both sets of tires have nice progressive breakaway at the limit and both do extremely well in the rain. we'll see how they do when New ENgland finally gets some snow.

FWIW, I have the FZ4's as my winter tire on my car now -- I actually ran a track event in the rain on the FZ4's, and was amazed by how much wet grip I had. I also drove home from upstate NY to NYC in the middle of the President's Day blizzard in 2003, and they got me home just fine. For the price, don't think you can beat Toyo's. Andy
Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

[quote name='AJChenMPH']FWIW, I have the FZ4's as my winter tire on my car now -- I actually ran a track event in the rain on the FZ4's, and was amazed by how much wet grip I had. I also drove home from upstate NY to NYC in the middle of the President's Day blizzard in 2003, and they got me home just fine. For the price, don't think you can beat Toyo's. Andy[/QUOTE] sorry, guys. the toyo's still need scrubbing in. not really a fair comparison until then. only about 200 miles on them. the p zero nero's have been fantastic, but i expected them to be good since they were excellent on the STi.

I'm very interested to see how they compare. Hopefully you get some snow sooner than later so I can help advise someone better, actually make that two people better on A/S tires. I know a lot of people say A/S are crap, but for both they're a good balance as neither is an extreme driver and we just don't get enough snow to necessitate true snows up here.

driving feedback: the toyo's are scrubbed in now. took a long drive today in the mountains (day off). the toyos do not tramline like the p zero nero M/S' do but they also seem to have softer sidewalls. the two tires actually have very different feel because of the varying sidewall stiffness. out of the box, i love the pirellis more because i like the "feel". but since the wagon is my primary car and is shod with the toyo's, i've gotten used to the way they handle. they handle brilliantly in the dry and are really progressive in wet conditions. my sense from having experience last year in heavy snow with FZ4s (toyo) and the pzero nero M/S....both will do just fine in the snow. it's just a question of how the tires "feel" to each person. right now i'd give the advantage to the P Zero Nero M/S tires.

good report... i really got to switch my stockers out,, they r crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! im itchin to put my toyos on from my wrx... i know what u mean bout sidewall stiffness on the toyos,, they r soft,, but they sure r sticky, toyos have awsome wet traction,, and i need wet traction where i live,, rains year round,, blahhhhhhhhh

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='lemming']driving feedback: the toyo's are scrubbed in now. took a long drive today in the mountains (day off). the toyos do not tramline like the p zero nero M/S' do but they also seem to have softer sidewalls. the two tires actually have very different feel because of the varying sidewall stiffness. out of the box, i love the pirellis more because i like the "feel". but since the wagon is my primary car and is shod with the toyo's, i've gotten used to the way they handle. they handle brilliantly in the dry and are really progressive in wet conditions. my sense from having experience last year in heavy snow with FZ4s (toyo) and the pzero nero M/S....both will do just fine in the snow. it's just a question of how the tires "feel" to each person. right now i'd give the advantage to the P Zero Nero M/S tires.[/QUOTE] Have you had any snow yet where you live? What part of the country are you from?

Archived