LegacyGT.com

USDM to JDM parts needed

hey guys, i'm a new member on the forums ever since i decided to go ahead and turn my legacy into a sleeper. i have a 93 sedan l fwd, with the 2.2l, i'm going to do the ej20 twin turbo conversion, and maybe usdm wrx ej20 if i can't find the jdm legacy motor around. anyway, i know i need the JDM hood, which i have looked all over for and haven't found, other then that, and the wireing harness. what else would i need for the swap?

What do you need the hood for? Japanese Legacy turbos had AWICs and so don't need a hood scoop. If you wanted to go top-mount air to air you could get a USDM Legacy turbo hood or add a scoop to yours (though that would be a pain). As for the twin turbo, one reason those engines are so cheap is because they don't go into a left hand drive car without major fab work. They can be converted to single turbo, though, which most people recommend anyway for driveability and reliability concerns. You will also need the crossmember to clear the exhaust. The earlier the JDM engines are better as later engines are open deck. I've got a 90 L wagon 5MT that I'm putting an EJ22T in. Steve

i was planing on putting a air-to-air in, and all. where would be a good place to look for that crossmember, also, i'd need some exact measurements for the screw holes and of course the scoop hole for me to cut it out, so maybe someone with the turbo hood could help me out there. i don't know why you'd want to put the ej22 in, aren't all ej22's single cam?

Some people have adapted WRX scoops to the stock turbo Leg hood. Supposedly its not hard. The EJ22s are all SOHC. For a boosted application any lack of breathing as measured on a flow bench are small. This isn't an N/A application. SOHCs are much easier to change belts on and trying to figure and pay big bucks for DOHC heads that fit is just not worth it. For cheaper I could always have head work done to the stock heads. The number of cams doesn't always equal better flow either. Look at the 2.5s. The EJ22T is a guaranteed closd deck, also something far more important to me as well as the fact that its a fully legal OEM engine for the car. Steve

• 5 months later...
[quote name='evolutionmovement']Some people have adapted WRX scoops to the stock turbo Leg hood. Supposedly its not hard. Steve[/quote] Yup i have a first gen WRX scoop on my legacy and u dont even have to bolt it down, just glue it, mines held up to multiple 240kph runs with out flying off so i think its fine

Archived