LegacyGT.com

AUX in on a Stock '05 Head Unit w/o Silent CD (The Project)

mcwiggin

Well, I bring some interesting news on this project. I did the mod on the caps, C402-405. Without having yet put the unit back in the car (still at work), I can tell you that the audio definitely comes through. Now for some quirks. When in call mode, you cannot adjust treble, bass, mid, fader or balance. Also, when you go into call mode, the volume defaults to 16 (but you can adjust it).

I figure I can use the iPod to adjust the tone....hopefully it doesn't fade to front by default. Will report back later. I did take some pics of the mods I made; I'll post them tomorrow if it turns out this is a worthwhile mod.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, got home, found my adapter cable and test. Using the headphone jack the volume in "call" set to 16 is about the same setting 10 on radio/cd. Also, it appears that the fader is set full front; I didn't hear anything out of the rears. It does not appear that the tone settings are adjusted to emphasize voices, which is good news.

Not sure what can be done about the fader but I suspect the volume issue can be fixed if it really bothers anyone. It should be noted that the radio/cd volume is separate from "call" volume; so if you're listening at FM 10, switch to call and then go back to FM, the FM volume will still be 10.

So is this better than Jazzy's solution? That's for you to decide.

Ok, here are the pics. First one is stock, second one modded.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/Drm2Ski/Misc/DSCN4952.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y263/Drm2Ski/Misc/DSCN4954.jpg

The gray wire I used as ground. I connected left and right directly to pins 4 and 8 of CN402. I then ran a separate pair of leads to enable call mode. Nothing is mounted yet as I'm still deciding whether I want to stick with this method or not.

Great work, guys!

When in call mode, you cannot adjust treble, bass, mid, fader or balance. Also, when you go into call mode, the volume defaults to 16 (but you can adjust it).
As I started reading this thread I was afraid it would do something like this.

Can you tell if the HU is leaving the bass, mid, and treble where they were prior to "call" mode, or is it changing them to some "medium" values, like what it's doing with the volume? (you could test by setting each one all the way up or down prior to switching into "call" mode)

... it appears that the fader is set full front; I didn't hear anything out of the rears. ...
This is almost certainly being controlled by software in the HU's microprocessor, so fixing this would require more hacking than it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

To the folks who played with this: Did any of you try grounding the "Tel On" (enable) pin while the HU was powered off?

I've been thinking about what it would take to use this input with an actual phone kit such as a Parrot.

I'm curious if the Tel On pin "wakes up" the head unit so it will still send the audio to the front speakers. Otherwise you would need to make sure you turn on the HU before being able to place or receive calls using the phone kit.

If the pin does power on the HU, does it power back off after you unground the pin? I would expect it should.

And if it does work, is it only while the ignition is in the "Accessory" or "On" positions, or does it also work with the key off?

Also: When you adjust the volume during "Call" mode, go back to normal music mode, then get another call, does it remember the "Call" volume you set previously?

I'm not sure if it "wakes" the HU. However, I do know that "call" is on the display even if the radio is off and the hu remains off when you un-ground the pin. So the short answer is, probably;) I don't recall whether it works when the car is off. I want to say no but don't quote me on that.

If I used my phone in the car more I'd probably be working on the same project;)

If the HU is displaying "Call" then I have no doubt it's firing up the amp, which is all I really mean by "wake up." So that means a phone kit will work even when you haven't powered on the HU.

I'll bet it doesn't work with the key off, since nearly everything else in the car is that way.

How about the "Call" mode volume setting -- is that remembered between calls?

• 2 years later...
To the folks who played with this: Did any of you try grounding the "Tel On" (enable) pin while the HU was powered off?

I've been thinking about what it would take to use this input with an actual phone kit such as a Parrot.

I'm curious if the Tel On pin "wakes up" the head unit so it will still send the audio to the front speakers. Otherwise you would need to make sure you turn on the HU before being able to place or receive calls using the phone kit.

If the pin does power on the HU, does it power back off after you unground the pin? I would expect it should.

Bump for this old thread. Have you ever figured it out? Did you attempt integration of some bluetooth kit via the "call" feature on the HU?

• 2 years later...
Ok so this thread is results and findings on coming up with a way to get AUX in on a Stock 2005 Subaru Legacy Head Unit.

Thanks to drcaveman in finding the service manual for the 05/06 headunit which has complete circuit schematics for the head units.. To download the manuals:

Manual 1 can be downloaded here (0505cqef1561l.pdf)

www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/0505cqef1561l.pdf

Manual 2 can be downloaded here (0505cqef1560l.pdf)

www.mcwiggin.com/subaru/0505cqef1560l.pdf

<...>

Damn, that documentation is golden! Those schematics are exactly what I needed to validate the connections on my severed board.

Thanks!

Archived