LegacyGT.com

Awaiting the Big Brown Truck

thehikingdude

I just got it installed yesterday so I still need to spend some time fine-tuning the sound. With the little bit of time I spent tuning the system the main guy at the install shop had the following to say.

"Wow, I'm impressed and I'm not impressed very easily."

"That is the best sound I've ever heard from a factory head unit."

They ended up using Cascade Audio VB-2 instead of Dynamat on the doors. I still don't have the bass I've become accustomed to so the JL Audio Stealthbox is surely in my future.

I will update you more once I've had more time to experiment.

I will get some pics as well.

Nothing really exciting at all. I wanted a total stealth look without touching the back end tray as I use that area quite a bit when hiking / backpacking for more room.

Alpine MRV-F345 Amp under the drivers seat. This pic is with the drivers seat all the way forward. Once it's back you can't see a thing.

http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/photos/126021809-M.jpg

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 under the passenger seat all the way forward. Same thing, once it's back you can't see it.

http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/photos/126021906-M.jpg

Note the remote volume control for the RF 3Sixty.1 in the ashtray, when it's closed it's out of sight. Mounted the XM Radio just below the AT shifter. Hard to tell from the pic, but it's not in the way of anything.

http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/photos/126021843-M.jpg

I just got done setting the gain on the amp and the independant speaker levels as well from the 3.Sixty1. I am simply blown away by how well it sounds now. The only thing I'm missing is low bass. What's next?

And for those with a sharp eye you will notice the kooky RCA plugs on the amp. I still need to reverse the speaker leads and the RCA jacks after all the testing I did to figure out what was causing the amp to shut down. The outputs are actually working the way they should, but I still need to fix it so it looks AND sounds right.

• 1 month later...

I just added the Alpine PLT-5 (250 Watts RMS) Subwoofer a few days ago and am very pleased with the bass improvement. It fits perfectly up against the back seat of my '07 Outback. It's not quite as much bass as you might get from a larger box, but it's more than enough for me.

The shop I got it from is awaiting the PLV-7 which I will try out once they are in stock. Depending on how well it fits in the back I may upgrade if the bass is substantially better. The PLV-7 (500 Watts RMS) is supposed to be better suited for larger vehicles so it's likely I will go with it. I will keep you updated.

• 5 months later...
I just added the Alpine PLT-5 (250 Watts RMS) Subwoofer a few days ago and am very pleased with the bass improvement. It fits perfectly up against the back seat of my '07 Outback. It's not quite as much bass as you might get from a larger box, but it's more than enough for me.

The shop I got it from is awaiting the PLV-7 which I will try out once they are in stock. Depending on how well it fits in the back I may upgrade if the bass is substantially better. The PLV-7 (500 Watts RMS) is supposed to be better suited for larger vehicles so it's likely I will go with it. I will keep you updated.

I was just looking back at this old thread of mine to grab the URL and noticed that I never followed up.

The Alpine PLT-5 worked great once I got all the settings fine tuned.

I also upgraded the 3Sixty.1 to the 3Sixty.2. The difference between the two is substantial. I couldn't be happier with the final outcome.

Archived