LegacyGT.com

My alternative to the $ 200 relocation kit: peer critique plz.

f1anatic

f1anatic's clock/info meter relocation solution:  

69 members have voted

1. 1. f1anatic's clock/info meter relocation solution:

• Waste of time and efforts; ugly POS. I would buy the AVO kit.
    • Not esthetically pleasing, but I would take that over the expensive AVO kit
    • Elegant solution, comparable the AVO kit for fit and finish. A winner.

Man... Can I relate to your toils with this project!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/2fuzzy2/DSC02897.jpg

A couple of years ago I embarked on a similar mission! Instead of relocating the clock though, I installed the defi control unit II in the ashtray location. Believe me, this kind of freestyle hacking is not for the faint-hearted or the impatient!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11622

Nice work f1anatic, you have a nice hack, that is about 90% completed... you just need to add the finishing touches (paint, carbon, vinyl tape, or whater "finish") to complete the hack job! But the best part is that no cutting of stock trim pieces was required (and no drainage of $200 from the bank account was required, either)...

I have been very satisfied with the ashtray conversion I completed, but the road to satisfaction was not short... the most recent upgrades that I have completed to my "hack job" was that I took the 12V plug that I cut out and reinstalled it (burried behind my AC unit) in order to utilize the power source for my Garmin Nuvi navigation. This was quite easy for me because I physically cut through the ash tray swiveling unit to utilize the basic structure and door functions, so the 12V plug was just sitting in my garage. I needed the cigarette style 12V female plug for my navi and since it could be burried in the dash it allowed me to hide the wiring... so basically the Navi is hard-wired and the wire just comes throught the vent near the cubby! Pretty nice since I hate loose wires in that area.

You probably can make do without the 12V plug there, and if you ever want to go back to stock it should be easy!

So the next question is how are you going to finish the "blockbuster" piece... Paint is an easy option but I can not recommend it after the ordeal I am currently experiencing with painting the interior trim pieces in my car!!!:mad:

I'm to the point where I'm considering buying a Real CF flat trim kit, or the $140 ebay faux CF trim kit to end my never-ending battle with the painting project I embarked on! It has dragged on for over 2 1/2 months because I keep F'ing up!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Your scenario would be simple in theroy since it would require only painting one little piece of plastic not stock trim pieces... But simple is never simple is it? Another option place some of that faux CF vinyl tape over the exposed piece of the DVD case and carefully cut out the hole for the clock unit...

Anyhow... Good luck with your decision and the remaining details required to finish it! Bravo to you for saving yourself $200 and making it a true DIY project!

• 2 months later...

Hey f1anatic, can you please give us some screenshots and feedback on the OSD technical features of Centrafuse? The Boost, EGT, and Oil gauges (and other gauges) in particular? Where are the isignals coming from? OBDII? Vacuum -> electronic sensor? The Fluxmedia Web site is lacking detailed screenshots?

Thanks! :eek:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived