LegacyGT.com

Obsedian Black 05 LGT 5MT, 33,500 miles...

Admrl

Dealer Trade-in (if excellent) is about 14.5K - so they are getting 3K markup - that's too high.

You should be able to get this for 15.5K (if I am correct). However, I havent' been able to get anyone lower than 17K....FWIW

Yeah, im not enthused either. 230 miles to check out a car thats black, which i dont want. Ill shoot him an email and let that oen sit for awhile. Im sure he'll get what hes asking. Just not from me. :(

Well, according to some here, the only difference is leather, power seats and a moonroof. I could live without all three, although I like the power seats. I cant' stand black either, it has to be white or silver for me.

Where are you located? Are we hunting the same vehicles ;)

Decent price, almost out of warranty. If you really want it, maybe negotiate a few extras in the deal, like a good extended warranty for cheap.

All up to you, but the car you want, not the car payment, get my drift?

X

---

No, its definetely a Limited. Power Moonroof, Leather power seats. All of which i like, lol.

Its the exact car i like, just more miles, and black. I like black, i just have a black car now, and wanted a change. Sokay though, ive got a Blue one closer to home, i think...

Well - I just bid 16K on a 54,000 mile '05 LGT 5MT. Here's the dealer quote (they were asking 17.9K:"

"Good luck purchasing that 'other' car. We would of course love to help you but we are unable to de-value this Subaru into your price range."

I think for 54,000 miles, even $17K seemed much considering I am also looking at a 33,000 mile car for the same $17K.

I'll keep looking....

Can't disagree - especially since they know the resale is poor on these. This dealer tried to tell me otherwise, but didn't convince me - he used KBB and jacked the thing with every possible option (which wasn't the car I was looking at).

I cooled that argument quick - I said, "what's the dealer trade-in"..I want $500 markup over that.

They didn't have an answer (which I knew they wouldn't). Since I am looking at other cars, I was able to walk away. Shoot, just looking at AutoTrader (per others' suggestion, although I am always on there) I see a few with 20,000 less miles at same price!

I carfaxed the car in the original post and it was titled in july of 2005, it's clean. My concern is that the it seems that early LGT's have studdering and what not.

Am i mistaken? I'm considering to look at this car on the way to Atlantic City, of course.

Dealer Trade-in (if excellent) is about 14.5K - so they are getting 3K markup - that's too high.

You should be able to get this for 15.5K (if I am correct). However, I havent' been able to get anyone lower than 17K....FWIW

The average mark up on a used car is 2500. That 2500 is used to clean the car, fix what is wrong with it (stuff that isn't covered under warranty, like tires, dents ect...), shipping costs...and so on. It isn't wrong for a dealership to make money, they are not put on this earth to do charity acts and supply the public with cars for what they paid for them. 17k is a fair price. Just make sure you buy a car from someone you are happy doing business with. After all dealerships are businesses.

To clarify, i didnt have a problem with the price. I just dont want to end up paying more than i have to, if i can help it.

I ended up paying a little more than that, but got a car i liked better.

I picked her up today: 2005 LGT Limited, 5 speed stick, the Dark Blue color with taupe interior. 31k miles. Much happier not having a black car, as i just had one for 6 years, LOL.

Thanks for all your help with the car buying... Im LOVING the turbo so far!!

Curious - what did you end up paying for it?

I couldn't get anyone to crack on the Legacy, so I bought a GS400 - $16K for one with 60,000 miles - totally clean, but somehow I lament not getting a 5MT...oh well, the GS was a good deal, and no one wanted to give me the same on the Legacy...

FameMax,

I know the auto business painfully well - I know they are in the business to make money, but no 2005 car is going to need $2,500 dollars worth of fixing, cleaning, etc. Plus, consider that there is a DOH issue every dealer has to contend with which should drive them to turn their inventory quickly.

I'll accept that if it's a different brand than the dealer carries, they should get greater markup since they are less likely to retain the customer for service, aftermarket etc. However, I know that my Subaru dealer got the '05 LGT 5MT on trade-in, I know they ripped off the guy that traded it in, and I know I would have had my car serviced exclusively there if they passed on some up front savings. They didn't so I purchased a Lexus GS400 from a dealer that agreed with my philosophy.

Maybe I am full of bupkus, but if that dealer had given me the Legacy for $16K like I asked, I'd have owned it. Will the dealer sell the car? Probably...but it's still sitting there 3 weeks later, and it was there for at least 2 weeks prior to my inquiry. Not turning inventory on a monthly basis is not good, even if used.

Curious - what did you end up paying for it?

I couldn't get anyone to crack on the Legacy, so I bought a GS400 - $16K for one with 60,000 miles - totally clean, but somehow I lament not getting a 5MT...oh well, the GS was a good deal, and no one wanted to give me the same on the Legacy...

what year is the GS400?

It's a 2000 - it's older than I wanted, but the price is right. It's was a one-owner, super clean.

I used to go nuts over GS400s, but again, I am into it, but lament not getting the Subie. I just couldn't get the price I wanted.

Thanks! It's a cool car, no doubt. It holds it's value well and it moves out. It's very classy and it fits me, plus the quality is there. I did get scared from the Subie's spongy brakes and the turbo. If I couldn't land a low mileage vehicle, the practical side of me kept saying "Lexus".

I also do a lot of stop and go traffic. I've never owned an automatic until recently, but the stinky clutch stories had me spooked.

I ended up paying 18,700 for it... Not terrible considering it only has 32k on the odometer. It has brand new tires on it, and the only blemishes i found were one small group of scratches on the rear passenger door. More than likely buffable.

Rdef, who were you talking to that wouldnt deal with you on the price? Infinity of Columbus in Ohio has an 05 MT identical to the one i bought... And they were down to 19,500 last i talked to them. I hadnt even really pushed hard on them either, thats what they said via email. Plus the black one in my original post... I dont think 18,7 was a bad deal at all, i think the black one for 17,5 is a great deal. I just didnt want black. :shrug:

Archived