LegacyGT.com

Rearended :(

Well, I've had my new Legacy GT Ltd. Wagon since Saturday, and tonight I got rear ended. :mad: I was sitting at a light, and a guy in a pickup truck hit me. It was a very soft hit, it felt like I had the car in gear and dumped the clutch accidentally and killed the car. So then like an idiot I thought the car was dead so I tried to start it again and ground the starter. :rolleyes: Needless to say, my mind wasn't working all that well at that point. So I signaled for the guy to pull into the parking lot across the street, which he did. It turns out there were four guys in the pickup. They didn't have any license plates on the car, and it had a temp tag in the window. I asked him for his insurance information, and he said he had insurance, but it was at home (right). So I called the cops. They came out, had us fill out some information forms, and started questioning the driver of the truck about insurance. After a while, he determined that the driver did not have insurance, and that the truck had been impounded in September for no insurance as well. He warned them that if he saw the truck on the road again tonight, he would tow it. So the cop left, and my wife and I left. Well, about a mile down the road, we were at a light and guess who pulled up next to me? The damn truck! They rolled down their window, held some piece of paper up, and spouted out something in Spanish. I tried to ask them to say it in English, but he just kept speaking Spanish. The he made some gesture, and they pulled away. I really wanted to take chase, but I knew that would be stupid. So I called the cops again and told them that I just saw the truck on the road. They said they'd send someone out to look for them. So, I have also called my insurance company (Allstate). This is my first insurance claim with them, and my first insurance claim ever. I certainly hope this doesn't affect my rates too much. Ironically, I have an appointment at the dealer on Tuesday to get some water spots buffed out of the car. I guess I'll talk to them to about getting the bumper repaired/replaced. Man I am bummed... Thanks for listening, Doug

Man, sorry to hear about that. It sounds like the rules are pretty permissive in OR. Here they'd have towed the offending car, cited the driver and made them walk home if they didn't have insurance. And why is it, by the way, that people who are bad drivers are the ones without insurance? Is that because they know it'd be too expensive to keep?

Sorry man...new car as well! Will it help if I tell you that some rowdy Spanish boats tried to conquer my small country in the 15th century and we (my ancestors) bombed them silly and they got the message

Thanks for all your replies. And especially Kevin. That makes me feel a little better! But I'm still upset that my baby is hurt. :( I realize that I didn't give a damage report in my original post. There are two "dimples" in the rear bumper, and a small (1/8" diameter or so) chunk of paint missing. There is also a small dent in the trunk, and some scuffing there. I don't know much about body work, but it seems to me that bumpers aren't really repairable, so I'm assuming it'll have to be replaced. I'm hoping the trunk fix is easy, since there doesn't appear to be any paint damage (I think the scuffing will buff out). It's really quite minor, but I'm still angry about the whole thing. :( Doug

I was waiting for that. :) I will try to snap some off, although it's rather anticlimactic. You might not even be able to see the damage. I'm going to be gone all weekend, so I'll try to get some up Monday. Doug

At least your person pulled over. My dad was rear ended (again fairly minor like yours), at a busy intersection during rush hour. My dad, not wanting to tie up already horrible traffice, suggested the the both pull into a parking lot 50 feet ahead. Well take a wild guess what happened, my dad pulled in, and the lady did not. And he didn't get a liecence plate number either. So he called the cops, but was pretty much SOL.

I don't know how it works in Oregon, but if you have uninsured motorist coverage, your deductibles are usually lower than your standard collision deductible. And since you do know the identity of the at-fault party, your insurance company will go after the truck driver for your money back (and theirs). Hope that helps somewhat. Sean

Thanks Sean. I just got off the phone with the adjuster, and you are indeed correct. They will go after the the owner of the truck (not the driver), and if they determine that he is uninsured, they will reimburse me $300 since my uninsured motorist deductible is $200. So I'm hoping for the best! Doug

[quote name='Komeng']Sorry man...new car as well! Will it help if I tell you that some rowdy Spanish boats tried to conquer my small country in the 15th century and we (my ancestors) bombed them silly and they got the message[/QUOTE] in this case bombing them silly may be a bad idea. i even being a small part spanish feel that you should be able to speak at least enought english to get by (or whatever launge the country you live in speaks) to drive. if a cop pulls you over and there is a launge barrier there is potentail for that person suing the state for it not being made clear, or time wasted that could keep the officer from responding to something more serious than a trafic voilation.

i think that cop was a little negligent. Driving without insurance is illegal. even if you don't have the card.. you get a ticket. You can always provide proof of insurance at a later date to get the ticket removed. Did the driver get any tickets? Since this car should not have been on the road in the first place.. this car should have been towed right then. Especially if the cop found there was NO insurance.

The driver was indeed ticketed for no insurance. I also thought the car should have been towed on the spot, but it almost seemed as if the officer was coming off shift or something and just wanted to get out of there. Doug

[quote name='Komeng']Sorry man...new car as well! Will it help if I tell you that some rowdy Spanish boats tried to conquer my small country in the 15th century and we (my ancestors) bombed them silly and they got the message[/QUOTE] LOL! That's awesome! Best laugh I've had all day. sqrl b8

Archived