LegacyGT.com

Yet another winter tire thread!

mcchicken

Okay.....I really need to make my mind up on winter tires before I get caught. I've done plenty of reading here and other places. What I've gathered is that from most companies there is a choice between all out snow/ice performance and a mix of snow/ice/wet/dry performance. I think I've narrowed it down to Blizzak and Nokian. (WS-50 vs. RSi and LM-25 vs. WR) Right now I'm leaning towards the hardcore snow/ice option since tread wear is secondary to traction IMO. I care far more about the safety aspect of the tires (turning, stopping, hydroplane resistance) than I do about acceleration. Athough I do a lot of highway driving in various conditions I'd say the roads are rarely completely snow or ice covered. The are usually dry or wet with some slush. (they salt and remove the bulk of the snow pretty quickly here) Which tire will yield the best wet/slush traction? Any links to reviews with direct comparisions between competing Blizzak's and Nokian's?

I was weighing the WS-50 vs RSi and came down on the side of the Nokian. When the magic multicell stuff wears away on the Blizzak, you're left with an all-season tire, while the Nokian retains its properties for the entirety of its usable life. Now I'm just waiting for the boat from Finland... Kevin

[quote name='mcchicken']Right now I'm leaning towards the hardcore snow/ice option since tread wear is secondary to traction IMO[/QUOTE] Go for the Nokian RSi and provide us with a review of this tire during winter. What size will you choose?

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I was in a similar situation and finally I went to the Nokian RSI, the logic behind can be read on the previous threds. PS for those of us in the Quebec/Ontario region the container is still scheduled for arrival on the 18th with ditribution done by the 21 st.

Archived