LegacyGT.com

I've got a new Headunit, but...

Bdubs

I want to be able to use the stock sub and amp still. Is this at all possible? I have a pretty powerful headunit that will probably make the speakers sound 10 times better than they do with this weak stock stereo, but before I go and buy a new dashkit, I want to know whats going to work.

If you are planning on installing this into your 2007 SE, there is no dash kit currently available. TDC Tuning is working on a solution that will replace the factory six-disc unit, but it seems to be a ways out still and will likely run $300+.

AVO sells a kit to convert the cubby between the air vents into a DIN sized opening for a little over $100. This route requires some minor custom work on the piece as well as the plastic behind the dashboard. You will need to buy a forward and reverse harness for your car (buy them here: http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/WRXharness.htm). You will need to keep power, turn-on, ground and illumination wires going to the original radio or your HVAC system will not work. Speaker wiring will be plug and play to your new aftermarket deck.

be sure to check crutchfield.com for dash kits.

I bought a stereo from them and they sent the dash kit for free!

If you go through the "what fits my car" wizard, they will include the dash kit if there is one for the 07.

The sound quality with the stock speakers improved quit a bit with the new head unit.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/aboone1970/IMG00002.jpg

That looks pretty good, I wonder how much they'll sell that kit alone for, I have a $550 Clarion unit that is incredible, and I really miss that sound quality. I'll check into Crutchfield.

Now not only do you need the harness, do you need a special antenna adapter for this unit?

SO I guess this goes back to my original question, Does the stock sub work with the aftermarket stereo? And do I need that special harness? That link is broken.

So I just used the Crutchfield live online help, which is very helpful actually. He says the factory sub and amp would be lost, and I do need an antenna adapter. This sucks considering I just bought the stock sub. There must be some way around this.

You shuld be able to hack the sub and sub amp to work since all it is getting is a audio signal, power and ground and a remote run on lead.

Just figure out the wiring diagram.

X

---

Metra makes a dashkit, assuming its the same as an 06, but it looks like its black. Hmm, I may just wait on this one. Thanks.

Nevermind. I was thinking Limited, not SE. You have manual climate controls right?

You shuld be able to hack the sub and sub amp to work since all it is getting is a audio signal, power and ground and a remote run on lead.

Just figure out the wiring diagram.

X

I am sure there is a way to get it to work, in my eclipse there was a way to get the stock amp to work with the aftermarket stereo. There's a great shop around here, I may just bring it to them and have them figure it out rather than me making things worse.

That looks pretty good, I wonder how much they'll sell that kit alone for, I have a $550 Clarion unit that is incredible, and I really miss that sound quality. I'll check into Crutchfield.

Now not only do you need the harness, do you need a special antenna adapter for this unit?

SO I guess this goes back to my original question, Does the stock sub work with the aftermarket stereo? And do I need that special harness? That link is broken.

I am pretty sure you need the special harness. I am pretty sure what came from crutchfield was stereo, harness, dash face plate, and antenna adaptor.

The sound is waaaaaay better than stock even with the cheap clarion that I bought. The guts of the clarions are pretty much the same on all models so the sound quality is pretty close on all units....I just don't have the additional options for AUX with the cheap unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Working harnesses link here.

(biz77- the link in your post is broken because the close paren became part of the URL)

If you want to keep your stock HU {and not cut any of the factory wiring} you'll need both a "forward" and a reverse harness with all 14 pins. The harnesses you'd get from Crutchfield (or anywhere else) lack one of the illumination wires. The stock radio must have that wire in order to light up.

The stock subwoofer will still work as long as you connect the speaker outputs of your new HU back into the car's speaker wiring (at least to the rear speakers). Just connect the sub between the car's factory radio harness and everything else that you add.

But first try your new HU without the factory sub. You may find that you can live without it.

So I just used the Crutchfield live online help, which is very helpful actually. He says ... I do need an antenna adapter.
You should pull your radio and look. I'm pretty sure I read another post saying the '07 radios have gone back to using a standard "Motorola" antenna jack.

Archived