LegacyGT.com

1992 Legacy Wagon LS Noises and Shakes...

ogre840

Told you I'd start here :lol:

So my new to me car has already been giving me trouble, first the stock radiator cracked, and now I have a rubbing grinding kind of noise.

It almost sounds like brake drag, but then again occasionally it sounds like Power Steering pump problems.

Randomly, when I'm angling the car to the left (not turning, more like correcting my steering) it lets out a horrendous screetching, squeeling, noise. The first time it did this, I also got a very intense vibration through the steering wheel, which hasn't happened as bad since, and it's not 100% of the time with the noise.

I have noticed that my "BRAKE" light stays on a lot too. I fully disengage the E-Brake, yet the light taunts me. I've tried setting the brake again, then releasing it, but the light stays on. The only time it turns off is when I restart the car, and release the brake (again not a 100% of the time problem).

I guess these problems could be one in the same (though sometimes when the brake light is on, the rubbing grinding squeeling sound never surfaces, some times it does, and sometimes the noise is there w/o the light...) and these two problems are probably the biggest 2 I face right now (besides the cracked windshield... but I just need money for that!)

Thanks for any help!

So I'm sort of narrowing down the noises...

Mainly I have a kind of grinding thunk noise while going straight, which gets louder if i'm turning or angling right... reminds me of a train (chunka chunka chunka... or thunka... or something...)

I hadn't had the left angle/turn noise in about a week but that came back last night after listening carefully to the "train" noise on my drive home from work. Very loud, kind of like brake rubbing, sounded a lot like a destressed gerbil/guinea pig...

Maybe tomorrow I'l take my front wheels off, snap some pics, see if anyone notices anything out of the norm...

Archived