LegacyGT.com

Interesting results from mods on TV show

[Edit] I found the show's name with a Google search just moments before Hellfrick posted. :p They took a Toyota Matrix with a base HP of 105 and they spend $1400 on it in the way of a short ram intake, piggyback ECU and an axle-back exhaust. They dyno it again and get a smoother HP/Torque curve and a peak HP increase of only [b]6[/b] HP and roughly the same increase in Torque. The exhaust sounds meaner now too. I'm sure that further mods will shine with these basic mods done, but it sure didn't look worthwhile by the time they ended the episode! Being used to getting roughly 30HP out of a $300-$500 mod, I was surprised to see them do so much for so little gain and act like it was money well spent! It might be interesting to see if they continue to mod this car! I've seen a rumor that they plan on installing a supercharger.

Well they need to be yanked off the air. WHO IS GOING TO SPEND 14OO BUCKS TO ADD 6 HORSEPOWER TO THEIR TOYOTA MATRIX??? What's the name of this show again? Queer Car for the Rich Guy? Why don't they mod a CAR instead of a 4-wheel scooter? Sheesh, they could have at least worked on a Lancer or something, but much better if they modded a Turbo car like a WRX, or a pony car like a Mustang... or anything but a Matrix. That's it, this is the last straw, I'm cancelling my subscription to cable.

I'd like to know what they did with the ECU to only get 6 hp. This wasn't the special olympics edition of monster garage was it/?? I would never expect much gains from an intake, as they have become the proverbial fart cans under the hood to those civic owners.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Please understand that I don't expect this show to be hosted by geniuses or anything. They aren't going to get to the finer points of improving a car. It's a do-it-yourself show for wannabe mechanics. Still, they have shown some new products that I found interesting so I'll let my TiVos record it and I'll fast-forward through the junk. In my opinion, they started with the wrong stuff because they are planning to surprise everyone later. (I sure hope that's what they are doing! Otherwise it's a huge waste of time!) We all probably agree that the short-ram intake and axle-back exhaust did very little but make noise and look ricey. The dyno plots showed a noticeable difference in the curves after the ECM unit. I would imagine that the car is more "driveable" now with the smoothed curves. Still, that's a lot of money to flush for 6 HP for someone that probably couldn't buy much of a car to begin with. As I said though, with the ECM & intake, they are setting up for a supercharger.

This is the show on DIY network right? Where they go step by step in excruciating detail? I wish I had DIY network. I'd finally have a replacement for Bob the painter guy on PBS to snooze to on Sunday afternoons. "Now here's a happy little tree. And maybe there's a happy little squirrel that lives in that happy little tree." Yeah, tell it like it is Bob. ZZZZZZ

[quote]Small displacement NA cars don't make large gains unless extreme measures are taken. [/quote] bigger is better! i personally like the sound of a 709c.u with 3 stage port nitrous...damn i'm going down memory lane...i'm gonna stop before i start crying... Kenda

Archived