LegacyGT.com

A-pillar gauge install - airbag clarification??

rodan

OK, I've searched around quite a bit and not found a clear answer: In some threads, the a-pillar is identified as a carrying the side curtain airbag, and therefore not suitable for a gauge installation. In another thread, it is stated that there is no airbag in the a-pillar. I also spoke to the dealer this morning, and they stated the side curtain deploys from the b-pillar. Also noted was there is an "SRS" logo at the airbag locations, and this is missing from the a-pillar. Anyone have a definitive answer? Although some are of the opinion that an a-pillar gauge pod is a little "boy-racer" for the Legacy (and I don't totally disagree), it is a good place for visibility. Also it seems like a good alternative given the limited placements in the Legacy's interior...

I can clarify that there definitely is an airbag along the driver's window edge of the A-pillar. It actually appears to be along the entire top of the door opening. With activation, it should pop out and form a barrier in front of the window that is attached to the top and sides of the window opening. But, the airbag doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the window opening. It starts about 6" above the dash. The A-pillar cover is very flexible which allows the airbag to pop out. It looked to me that the cover would/should stay in place if the airbag deployed with just the edge giving way to the bag. If a person were to mount a guage near the dash that was attached in some manner to the A-pillar cover but didn't prevent it from folding open, it would probably be fine IMO.

Archived