LegacyGT.com

Need insight regarding brake "score"

mtenhoven

Help, I need some insight regarding the photos below. I found this tonight on the inside driver's front pad (Bobcat)/rotor after experiencing what seemed to be a sticking caliper. Aka the caliper, wheel, etc were damn hot compared to the other side; plus I had the burning brake pad smell.

What could cause such scoring of both the pad and rotor?

Would this be the cause of the burning brake smell?

What do I need to do? Can it be left as is? I didn't see any debris remaining to cause or continue this. Or am I required to change the front pads and rotors. Pads have less than 2k on them, rotors are 30k.

Thanks!

DSCF0388.thumb.JPG.8203ab36e83f23dcef3eff5006a7ab07.JPG

DSCF0390.thumb.JPG.d399a28af9342646460fef3dc0796a3a.JPG

DSCF0394.thumb.JPG.cec99126e5e1fd6d6ba1397fa8f5337f.JPG

that's a stone that probably got caught up on it.. it probably fell out when you were disassembling the pads off.. you'll be fine, eventually it will wear back to normal after many miles later.. it's not going to affect braking for daily (or even some track driving), you'll be fine.
Keefe

if its a concern then i would take everything apart. clean all moving parts and relubricate. take some sand paper and sand down the friction side of the pads to get a fresh clean surface (rubbing it on a concreet floor will work) (using a air die grinder with and brillow pad type disc on it will work. you jsut want to clean up the surface. if that ridge is fairly big, get the rotors machined. and put it all bactogether and foilow the proper break in procedure

No noise now that I put everything back together; seemed a little grindy at first. No noticible pulling to the side as before.

It does seem slightly warmer than the other side using the highly calibrated hand temperature measuring technique and I thought I caught a quick smell of the burnt brake smell.

Archived