LegacyGT.com

Hello newbie here...

lbcgolf

Bought an '05 OBXT MT with 25k miles on it in late September. Boy did I wait a looong time for 1 to come up on the classifieds!

Been reading the threads, getting ideas on what to do and so on. But this is what I managed so far...

Kyowa Racing KR 206 Hyperblack 18x7.5

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 245/45WR18

Yakima Raptor bike rack x 2 (used these on my other car)

Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs (Daylight Running Lights disconnected, of course!)

Kenwood KVT-617DVD Single DIN headunit

Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation System

Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod Control Interface

Apple iPod Nano 8GB

Kicker ZX200.4 50W x 4 amplifier

Precision Power A800/2 220W x 2 amplifier (bridged to 440W mono)

Boston Acoustics SX60 6.5” two-way component speakers (front doors)

Boston Acoustics SX65 6.5” coax speakers (rear doors)

JL Audio Stealthbox 10”

Almani capacitor

Optima Yellow Top battery

Tints were from the previous owner. So did the bezel to fit a single DIN where the cubby hole used to be. Seemed a shame to let it go to waste.:icon_mrgr He had some kind of aftermarket radio in there. Of course when he decided to sell, he just put a pair of cheap coax Jensesn in the front doors and hooked it back to the factory unit and left the rears empty.

Going stage 1 after the first of the year assuming that the new AccessPORTs come out this week as planned.

Anyhoo, thanks all for many tips and ideas.

sideview.jpg.df2888d639545155b7daa471ca0d5674.jpg

frontquarter.jpg.b05f11ca29f9479eecefc56054c28bf8.jpg

rearquarter.jpg.41d76eb64f5935ff42383066df89bc8a.jpg

insidedriver.jpg.f790ea6607059b11b15f1a97013da2a1.jpg

insidepass.jpg.792512f1de8fc0e049f20cf3949518d1.jpg

enginebay.jpg.3f176a1c443708d60fb72ef5d7996ff0.jpg

wheels.jpg.58749187d874b8f9db159f513d222dba.jpg

ipod.jpg.863634222630f8e0f6a2bb502c7b60d8.jpg

amps.jpg.19d49c28bfcd97a04f4df44101dd1b02.jpg

sub.jpg.42a31569602f760602c0f293704b21de.jpg

gpsreceiver.jpg.a04bcbe9d068e3d3aab1e96f0cf6b20f.jpg

Dunno, but I was wondering the same thing.

I bought it at a VW dealership after finding the listing on the internet. Other than the single DIN bezel that replaced the center cubby hole, a disconnected satellite antenna at the very back edge of the roof and all the windows tinted, it was or was brought back to bone stock.

were the pics taken off ocean blvd and redondo?

nice amp set up, who did the install?

Close. Actually it's in the parking lot in front of the Belmont Plaza pool.

I shoehorned all the stereo stuff in myself. Then when the wiring got waaaay too time consuming, I took it to a shop in West Covina.

what are your thoughts about the single-din motorized screen? Now that you've got it installed are you happy with it? Or would you have done things differently?

Been debating between a single-din headunit, single-din motorized, and the cleansweep. Except for the OEM look, there's really nothing that I like about the cleansweep. For the price of a cleansweep I'd rather spend a bit more and get full mp3/ipod/satellite capabilities. I still have a box that I think has a stealthbox in it, still haven't opened it up to see what's really inside. I need to make a decision soon...or sell that JL box that's sitting here doing nothing. :lol:

what are your thoughts about the single-din motorized screen? Now that you've got it installed are you happy with it? Or would you have done things differently?

Been debating between a single-din headunit, single-din motorized, and the cleansweep. Except for the OEM look, there's really nothing that I like about the cleansweep. For the price of a cleansweep I'd rather spend a bit more and get full mp3/ipod/satellite capabilities. I still have a box that I think has a stealthbox in it, still haven't opened it up to see what's really inside. I need to make a decision soon...or sell that JL box that's sitting here doing nothing. :lol:

Well, in a perfect world I would have preferred the double DIN DVD screen with a non-JDM bezel that fit and relocate the info panel to the ashtray. I think that would look really clean. Trouble is that the bezel is JDM and you have to pay $400+ for parts that you still have to hack and shoehorn to make it fit nice.

Since the previous owner was kind enough to leave me with the single DIN bezel, obviously that was the easiest alternative. The flip up screen is more of a nuisance once the novelty wears off, but it's not that big a deal. I looked at the cleansweep as well. I was torn which way to go, but at the end of the day, I went the other direction because it integrates the ipod controls through the headunit and supplies power to it. Any other way is a compromised solution. I shelled out additionally for the navi, to justify the decision further... if that makes any sense.

The big downside of course is that an aftermarket headunit just begs to have your car broken into, regardless of whether you religiously remove the faceplate as you exit the car or not. Punks don't know the difference.

If that box has a custom Subi Stealthbox in it, what the hell are you waiting for?! That thing is the cleanest, tightest, best sounding sub I've ever owned. I can't imagine a 12" or a 13" sounding better than this thing. Add that to the totaly clean OEM look, and it's a winner! Not exactly the cheapest solution but...

One suggestion... you might want to consider building an "amp rack" out of wood or something. I have a feeling that the foam tray that you have it in there will insulate it and it could get a bit too hot under there.

Noted and thank you.

Yeah I'm a bit concerned. Will prolly tackle it as the weather gets warmer.

Thanks for the audio comments, I'm leaning towards the motorized screen w/nav. As long as the unit is able to display track info when closed I can deal with that. I just don't want one that has to stay open all the time even when not using the nav/video screen.

Archived