LegacyGT.com

Bilsteins vs. Tokico HTS struts and what springs then?

Scottybue

Alright, maybe I'm just not getting it. If I left the stock struts on and put JDM tophats, and kept same springs, the set-up would be higher. Understood. But isn't the spring perch lower on a JDM-specific strut, thus equalizing the raise if I had stuck to a USDM strut on a JDM tophat? Not trying to fight. just trying to get it right in my own head.

How much did your ION HD's lower the rear?

Not a lot, maybe on average about 40lbs on a day-to-day basis. But every now and then it can creep up to 2-300lbs if I'm moving stuff.

Spring perch on JDM struts are same height as USDM ones. JDM springs are lower springs even though car does not sit lower.

I sold my JDM springs from my Bilsteins to another member, it lowered his front by about 1/2 inch.

The iON HDs lowered the rear about 1/8 of an inch, but I have a sedan. That is why I cut my HD rears. (I know that sounds bad but it was real easy and works great)

Got it. Do you think there would be a problem with JDM ion's in front with Ion HD's in the rear with JDM tophats and JDM dampers? Possibly too much of a forward lean?

Possibly.

That is exactly what I have, but I cut 55% of one coil off of my HD rears.

You can always get the normal wagon rear springs and put an extra spacer in.

Are you doing the install on your own?

does this change the spring rate?

Yes it does, it makes it a little bit stiffer, not by much cause I only cut off about 6% of the whole spring.

If you cut a spring you cannot use heat, cause that changes the characterictics fo the steel.

I took mine to a machine shop, took them about 30 seconds to cut it and cost me $10. I erred on the safe side and ended up cutting it twice. First time I cut off 1/4 of a coil, re-installed on car, then took off again and cut off a little more then 1/4 coil for a total of a little more then half a coil.

You cannot cut the top of the spring as it tapers to a flat end. The bottom part is what I cut, the part that sits on the perch attached to the shock.

Archived