LegacyGT.com

303 on leather?

I know a lot of people are really happy using aerospace 303 on their dashes, plastic, etc. - yet many look elsewhere for leather treatment / protection. I know 303 says it is fine to use it on leather - would someone mind giving me the quick rundown on why NOT to use 303 on the leather as well - as it seems that is the case for most of the people here ... ?

What does 303 do for leather?

Finished Leather

303 Aerospace Protectant™ works on Finished Leather. "Finished Leather" is dyed the desired color and finished so it does not readily absorb water or other liquids. Auto upholstery and furniture are almost always finished leather. Absorbent leathers include deerskin, suede and chamois. If a drop of rain soaks in and makes a dark spot, it's absorbent leather and 303 Protectant is NOT for absorbent leather!

303 Aerospace Protectant™ softens hardening leather and leaves a natural, lustrous, repellent, non-oily finish. Similar to vinyl, finished leather is degraded by sweat, body oils, suntan and other oils & lotions. (Two extreme examples of this are tack (horse leathers) and exercise equipment. Before there was vinyl, the leather on exercise equipment was quickly destroyed by sweat and body oils. Now, sweat and body oils cause the vinyl to prematurely fail.)

303's super-repellent finish is crucial when it comes to finished leather. Besides protecting against sweat, body oils and lotions, 303'd leather is almost impervious to water & oil based staining agents.

The major benefit is UV screening. 303 is the most powerful UV screening formulation is very effective on the dyes used in finished leather.

Unfinished leather:

To protect unfinished leathers including suede, deerskin and unfinished dyed leathers, use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™. Use on new or newly cleaned leather. Spray on/let dry. Creates and maintains water repellency, resists soiling and helps protect against stains.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ does not change the leather's appearance after it has dried. 303 HTFG can be used on all natural leathers, including finished leather, but unlike 303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 HTFG does not improve the color or gloss of finished leather...it looks the same after treatment. For hiking boots and other outdoor footwear, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is the only choice for best water repellency.

- - - - - - - -

I suspect it might make it a little slippery at first, I know 303 is what I usually use.

well..that's what I found, hope it helps a little

Archived