LegacyGT.com

2003 Legacy L Limited

tobin

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. My girlfriend is looking at an 03 Legacy L Limited, awd, auto, loaded, with 58k on it. It's at a Subaru dealership, asking about $12,500 for it. I have read through a bunch of posts, and it seems like the only problems are head gaskets and wheel bearings.

I plan to drive the car around, check it out from below (put it on a lift), and see if they have records. The car seems pretty nice from the pictures.

My question is this; is there a huge difference between the GT and the L? I think the tranny is different (beefier on the GT) and the awd system is a little different between the 2? The GT sends more power to the rear at all times?

I do all the work on my own car, a 98 A4, but i'd like to find my girl a more reliable car that doesn't need attention every weekend. I'm leaning toward the regular "L" because, well, she's a girl. I don't think she needs the extra performance.

Any thoughts?

The drivetrain should be exactly the same for 2003 between the GT and the L. They are both 2.5 SOHC engines with a 4 speed auto transmission. The 2003 did not suffer from internal head gasket failures like the pre 2000 DOHC engines did. Instead they sometimes develop a slight coolant drip onto the exhaust manifold which is usually cured by the Suburu coolant conditioner. The GT has sportier headlights/wheels/options but the drivetrain is the same. For 2005 however, the GT is turbocharged.

Yeah, theres not too much difference. Which is dissapointing. GTs had leather, sunroof, heated mirrors, but like Jedi Pimp said, the engines are the same. Which is pretty weak in my book. Have the sporty version of the car and it has the same engine as the standard version.

Archived