LegacyGT.com

cold start-up squeal...

bmorrisj

everytime i start the car(in the morning, after sitting for a few hours...cold) i get a nice high pich squeal/squeak/screetch which may be the alternator, i believe. it starts constant for a few seconds, then declines and goes away while getting the last couple of little squeaks out before it stops....

Its either a pulley/belt squeel or the power steering pump. in cold conditions, the power steering pumpmight squeel since the fluid in it is too viscous to be pumped(happens at or below freezing temps). I see you live in CA though so if the temp is not below 40F then its not the pump. How many miles on your car?

prolly a belt or pulley squeek. spray some wd-40 on the belt when you are hearing it. if it goes away, then you know its the belt. if it does not go away, then start spraying it on each of the accessory and idler pulley centers. if i goes away then, the culprit will be the pulley you sprayed. One of the bearings for a pulley maybe going bad and binding up when its cold. common for cars past 30K miles.

Archived