LegacyGT.com

Interior bits

Austin2.5i

I just wanted to see how everyone's finding the quality of the Legacy's interior. I feel that it looks great, and the materials feel quality, but I'm noticing the following: 1. Shifter boot on manaul transmission is still noisy ("squeaking"?) after 6000 miles. Dealer said it would "work it self out". Seems to me that Subaru just used a cheap, fake leather. 2. Steering wheel column plastic covers (top and bottom) are loose and making annoying noises over rough surfaces. 3. Loose trim piece on the right side of the radio - again makes noises over rough roads. 4. Is it just me, or does the passenger seat move around excessively with no one in there? Is anyone else finding the same things, or is my car just not screwed together right? Thanks.

I have not noticed any of these things on mine. I think the interior is just as nice as the current 3 series. In fact a coworker of mine who has an 02 330Ci agrees that the interior of the Legacy is on par with his car. But I will agree that the shift boot does seem kind of cheap. Like the material will start to crack after a few years.

What is the last 6 digits of your vin number? Mine is 2094XX. It was built in July and after a couple thousand miles, I still can't fine anything wrong. Maybe "Big Brother" was watching and fixed a lot of these initial problems that people reported here.

only problem i have had with initial quality is the passenger side rear set release was not formed properly and kept popping off (was replayed free of charge) as were a few missing pop clips in the rear drivers side wheel well have not had any of the problems you are sorry, friend

Mine was built in september. I have noticed an intermittent and hard to pin down squeak coming from the dash above the glovebox. I hope it gets worse before my first oil change so the dealer can hear it too... Also, there is a little jagged hole ( about 1/8" diameter) on the back of the streering wheel rim, at about the 1 o'clock position. It looks like a defect in the plastic (the 2.5i doesn't have the leather-wrapped steering wheel). I will look for something to fill it up. Really not too bad after one week. :D

Oh I forgot about the subwoofer. Sticks out from under my driver's seat like a sore thumb, because it has blue wires, the installation is set back, and I'm short so the seat is moved up a bit. If you look through the driver's side rear window, you could see the sub and wiring - boy ain't that spewing quality and luxury - :roll: :lol: - Mike

on the drivers side on the floor. on the right side of the handles that you pull to open the drunk and gas casket could someone push down on the flooring and see if there is support because mine goes down and i could easily fit my fingers under the handle casing.

Mine is about 3 weeks old. There are two rattles when going over bumps. First one comes from the left or right side of the center console, yes, the two plastic trim pieces. I think I'm not the only one having this rattle. It just seems to me like a bad design decision to have the piece simply clip on. It should have been put together better to avoid creaking. It's unavoidable. Mine are fake wood trims that came with the taupe interior. I'm really not a fan of wood in the first place, I'd love to be able to replace them with something else later on. Right now, they mostly make creaking noise when cold or in the morning. Another rattle isn't really that bad, but kind of annoying on a new car. It's a high freq. buzzing when going over bumps or rough pavement. It sounds like it's coming from an area around the right side dash board. Can't really pinpoint it yet. Someone said it's the dashboard touching the bottom of the front windshield. It's a possibility. If you guys find a solution please share it as it gets quite annoying. Other than that it's pretty solid.

The only trim that really annoys me are the simulated brushed aluminum bits that you actually touch. I understand saving cost on the dash but the area around the shifter buttons should be aluminum (its part of the wheel so one would think that it may not be done on the line?). The simulated bit that really annoys me is the creaky plastic on the leather wrapped shifter for the 5EAT. Honestly if you bother taking the time to trim the shifter in leather, at least make sure the plastic doesnt squeak. Seems like such a waste to replace a good looking knob with matched trim for that reason.
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Rumor has it the ratlle/squeak from the aerea around the dash center is actually a few harness' that are behind the radio. If your dealer hasn't heard of it I believe SOA has , and the techline the mechanics can call should know of it. The harness' need to bo zip tied or moved or somethin. (a pain to take out radio.)Thats what i read on nasioc. i believe Mike...

[quote name='Euclid']I have not noticed any of these things on mine. I think the interior is just as nice as the current 3 series. In fact a coworker of mine who has an 02 330Ci agrees that the interior of the Legacy is on par with his car. But I will agree that the shift boot does seem kind of cheap. Like the material will start to crack after a few years.[/QUOTE] I'm at 5100 miles and I don't have any squeaks so far off any kind, knock on wood. I do have ants though, randomly I'll have ants. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't know what that guy is talking about I have the same year and model of car and there is no way the Legacy GT as nice as the interior is compares to the E46.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='05USdmGTgUy']Rumor has it the ratlle/squeak from the aerea around the dash center is actually a few harness' that are behind the radio. If your dealer hasn't heard of it I believe SOA has , and the techline the mechanics can call should know of it. The harness' need to bo zip tied or moved or somethin. (a pain to take out radio.)Thats what i read on nasioc. i believe Mike...[/QUOTE] No, the squeaking around the center dash area is usually the plastic side railings on the center console, rubbing the console. That's an easy fix. The most excellent service department at Evanston Subaru pulled the panels, and added weatherstripping between the mating surfaces to silence the squeak. The rpm-specific rattle from the driver's side (extreme, by the leftmost vent) is the wiring harness. Kevin

Archived