LegacyGT.com

Buying an '06 LGT 5EAT

Hyru

I've been around the forums for a while and I've also been looking for a legacy for a while. I found a nice car near me, but I'm unsure if the dealer is giving me a fair price.

The car is a 2006 Legacy GT Limited 5EAT. The car is "new". It has 4,896 miles on it and was previously a program car for some Subaru exec. It has never been titled and is technically classified as new. The car is Garnet Red Pearl and has black leather interior with heated seats, heated rear glass, and other non-standard options. The dealer's list price is $25,900. I know this isn't the best deal, but it doesn't seem that bad.

Also, the experience I had with the dealership was incredible. The dealer(owner of the dealership) races Subaru's. He was very knowledgable of aftermarket parts. He also had 8 STI Limited on hand, he wanted me to get one, but it's a little out of my price range. After my testdrive with the salesmen, the dealer went further to take me for a ride in the car and explain the intricacies of the Sport Shift system. Of Course, I'm not an idiot. I know how the thing worked, but wow, the dealer started slinging the car around corners and I got an actual feel for how it handled under agressive driving.

To sum it up, the car is a very nice car. I would like very much to get it, but is their a lower price I should look for. I'm sure the dealer will get plenty of money in the long run because we started talking about mods and he seemed eager and able to do anything I desired.

I do not have pictures. The car is in excellent condition, basically new. No interior or exterior defects I could find.

So is it Deal or No Deal?

Hyru, just to let you know, i got my 06 LGT, GRP, for 29.5k back in March, and it had 64 miles on the odometer. Almost 5k miles is not new. Tell them to come down, they will. They are just testing the waters with you, to see if you would bite. Good job not.

Absolutely no deal. I was quoted $26k for a new (~10 mi) LGT 5EAT from 2 dealers back in May. And the rebate back then was only $1500, rebate is $2750 right now. I don't know what "non-standard" options are on the car but heated leather seats, front/rear glass and mirrors are standard on the LGT. If a salesman is trying to tell you they are some sort of special options I would run away from that dealer. As far as I'm concern there is no such thing as 5000 miles new car, it's an used car. If you can't get it for ~$24k I would look for another.

Look for less than $24!

I just paid under $27 for a 07 5eat and the rebate is only $750 .... since 06's have a $2750 rebate - that would mean comparibly I paid under $25k -- and the car I bought has 40 miles on it.

5000 miles is a used car. You should be in the 22-23k range tops.

Yeah I know it isn't new. But it's technically "new" because I will be the first owner as a result of it never being titled before. I figured around $22k-$23k as a good deal. I'll be happy with a $24k total price though.

As a side note. This is the only LGT I've found in my area. There are only four dealerships in AL. The salesmen gave me the lines about the features. I figured they were fairly standard. The dealer seemed fairly straight forward and willing to negotiate. So I'll go back and haggle a bit. GRP isn't my first color choice anyway. So if this one passes by it isn't the biggest loss, I'm just tired of my '99 Ford Taurus. It's a decent car. But the body roll is to much and the engine doesn't quite have the midrange I would like.

Thanks for the Help. I'll probably be back again before I buy it.

Archived