LegacyGT.com

Calgary Auto Show

Saw the new 2.5GT Wagon & the 3.0R Outback on display at the Calgary Auto Show this afternoon. They look great. Although the sedan wasn't on display, you can imagine every thing else looks the same as what we've all seen on the website. Disappointingly, the brochure they handed out wasn't much but just extract from the Subaru of Canada website stuff which is old news. Unfortunately the door was locked and cannot get in but observing from the outside the panel lights was on and it looks really good. The moonroof is much larger and looks like we are all getting the extension on the sunvisors. The turn signal LED lights at the back of the side mirrors looks really cool, much cooler than those in the Mercedes 500CLK. Salesperson thinks it'll be here by first week of June & will go for around C$35K or so. Of course these are all speculations.

[quote name='shelltox']Salesperson thinks it'll be here by first week of June & will go for around C$35K or so. Of course these are all speculations.[/quote] That's for a 2.5GT Wagon? I am bit skeptical with this price, I think it will rather be in the vicinity of $CAD 37K. Remember, 85 extra hp, 17" wheels, there is a price for these upgrades (compared with MY2004). By the way, Sheltox; do you know what the difference is between 2.5GT and 2.5GT Limited other than leather and better audio system?

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

TeeLoo (ti-loup???): the Limited adds leather, sunroof, 8-way driver seat, 4-way+lumbar adjustment passenger seat (compared to 4-way/manual). No changes to the sound system as long as i know. These apply to the GT, the specs of the 2.5i vs 2.5i limited are quite differents.

[quote name='TeeLoo']That's for a 2.5GT Wagon? I am bit skeptical with this price, I think it will rather be in the vicinity of $CAD 37K. Remember, 85 extra hp, 17" wheels, there is a price for these upgrades (compared with MY2004).[/quote] Let's keep in mind that the current gen. GT is ludicrously overpriced and underpowered. The new GT will be just about right at $26K US. That should put the Limited at about $28K US, which IMHO is also just about right.

[quote name='DrGT']TeeLoo (ti-loup???)[/quote] En plein dans le mille!!! [quote name='DrGT']the Limited adds leather, sunroof, 8-way driver seat, 4-way+lumbar adjustment passenger seat (compared to 4-way/manual). No changes to the sound system as long as i know. These apply to the GT, the specs of the 2.5i vs 2.5i limited are quite differents.[/quote] Thanks for the info, then, I guess $CAD 35K seems reasonable for the 2.5GT. The question then is; how much is the Limited package worth?

[quote name='cotmfk']You also have to remember that they will still be competing with Camry and Accord, so they can't touch the $30k mark, IMO. $26k would be wonderful![/quote] Actually I thought I read somewhere that they want to raise it up a little so that it can compete with more luxurious cars like the Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series, to better their brand name.
-ben

I believe all these numbers are pretty sketchy at this time since Subaru of America or Canada have not officially announced any pricing as yet. I think the salespeople can only estimate a ball park since they do not want to see too high a number to either scare us off or dwindle their sales down to other competitors. Subaru needs to be competitive and this is a car with more juice & the whole shoobang and they would want to keep the interest in as well as sell more of this car. Of course we know the dealership guys are going out next month to test drive them so we only have to wait for them to get back and report back to us.

Wow its funny how universal these pricing discussions are between here and [url]www.nasioc.com[/url]. It always seems to boil down to whether or not the new Legacy is going to compete with the Accord and Camry, or with the likes of Acura and BMW, and improving Subaru's brand name. Just an observation 8)

[quote name='tallguylehigh']Wow its funny how universal these pricing discussions are between here and [url]www.nasioc.com[/url]. It always seems to boil down to whether or not the new Legacy is going to compete with the Accord and Camry, or with the likes of Acura and BMW, and improving Subaru's brand name. Just an observation 8)[/quote] We want to compete with Accords and Camrys for pricing, Bimmers, Audis and Acuras for performance. Is that too much too ask for? :wink:

[quote name='axis008'][quote name='cotmfk']You also have to remember that they will still be competing with Camry and Accord, so they can't touch the $30k mark, IMO. $26k would be wonderful![/quote] Actually I thought I read somewhere that they want to raise it up a little so that it can compete with more luxurious cars like the Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series, to better their brand name.[/quote] Subaru is on record as saying that the new Legacy will have no more than a 3 to 5% price increase. Worldwide, the 3% increase has been pretty consistently the chosen number. If you do the math, a 3% hike in the USDM puts a cloth manual GT at a shade under $27K, which is about right. Companies don't want to compete in price, they want to compete in amenities and performance. You rarely see companies raise their prices just because another company's car is priced at a certain number. What that company would say is "Now look at how much their car costs, vs what ours costs. What a shame." In performance and (mostly) amenities, the Legacy will be competitive and better than the Hondas, Acuras and BMWs of the world. It will be faster, with braking that is as good or better. Ditto for handling, and AWD traction and performance, even in the dry, will be aces. Kevin

Archived