LegacyGT.com

uneven brake wear

joeyjojoe

i just got my car serviced at the dealership (yes, i know i can do it myself ... but i don't wanna), and they told me my front brakes are at 70% and my rear brakes are at 40%. is that normal?

during a previous service, i had mentioned i feel sime rear brake shimmy at high speeds, which they attribute to slightly warped rotors. i didn't get them re-machined at the time. could this be contributing to the additional wear on the rear brakes? the service guy said no, but then couldn't explain why my brakes are wearing differently front and rear.

usually it's the front brakes that wear about a 3:1 on our cars for some reason.. when I did some suspension changes, it got down to 2:1.

Like Derffred said, did you recently got the front brakes changed? That would explain it better because I go through my front brakes first before my rear ones at a rate now of somwhere around 2.5:1

The rear brake pads can last me 40,000 miles or so, but by that time, I would have been through 2.5 sets of front brake pads. My front brake pads (because of the way I drive spiritedly) I usually change them out around 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

Keefe

^ like I said, some can make them last a good 40,000 miles with conservative driving. Then you got guys like me that track, autox, and do a lot of other spirited driving that glaze the brake pads and that only last 10,000 miles.. but then again, I have set(s) of brake pads for the track and another set for autox and daily driving.
Keefe

I replaced my pads at 32k and noticed a wear pattern similar to yours. Speaking of wear pattern, Subaru did something a little disturbing with their pads. The left rears have no wear indicator. This fact is even mentioned in the owner's manual. I'm not crazy about their assumption that both sides will wear evenly. The last time I changed my GS-R's pads one side (can't remember if it was front or rear) was worn quite a bit more than the other. Fortunately the Hawk Ceramics I put on don't suffer from this lack of symmetry.

heh, I get uneven pad wear on just the halves on the one caliper.. I think I may have an sticky slider pin or piston.. but you can see that that brake pad isn't the exact thickness from one half and the other half.. it's very apparent on the left front brake pad (from the weight of the car, the front left just wears faster that way).
Keefe

yea that's the thing though... my pads are probably glazed, my brake pedal is spongy, and when they're hot i get a sick vibration while braking lol... too many hard stops from 140

I had that and changed the rotors and same shyt after only 3,000 miles. Soon as you brake from say 170 -180 kph the rotors are effed! Piece o' junk!:(

I have maybe about 10-13K on my bobcats (up front), and I get frequent squeaking (really high pitched, enough to drive a man crazy) usually after some hard braking and spirited driving. Though it is not consistent all the time. Is this because they need to be replaced? Or is it normal? They work fine, but I have no way to check them, as I am no where near my tools...

I have maybe about 10-13K on my bobcats (up front), and I get frequent squeaking (really high pitched, enough to drive a man crazy) usually after some hard braking and spirited driving. Though it is not consistent all the time. Is this because they need to be replaced? Or is it normal? They work fine, but I have no way to check them, as I am no where near my tools...

They tend to do that, You would have to take off the wheel to see the pad material left on the backing plate. It's not hard to see it (especially if you have very few thin spokes to see through to the caliper).

The material on brake pads can make things squeal, it's in ther nature.. Non-steel based materials (such as ceramic pads) are lower in dust noise and they are generally softer material compound to work with the iron based rotor. Of course, there is a certain point where you are giving up the initial bite, heat, and thermal capacity for a cleaner, low noise brake pad that may cost more or less. Can't have it all.

Keefe

Archived