LegacyGT.com

Tinting and the Law

scottybuckeye

I'm was wondering that myself. I had my wife's '07 Forester tinted at 27% all the way around from Jazz It Up on Arapahoe Road. While I was there, they had examples in the store window and to be honest, I was hard pressed to see a difference between 20% and 27%. My advice would be to stop by Jazz It Up and check it out for yourself. Or any tint place for that matter, I'm sure they all have examples.

I doubt you'll have problems from po po though. I work with 3 dudes that have their cars tinted at 20% and they've had no probs. One is a black '06 Evo. With that being said, if you get pulled over, I would suggest rolling down all your windows to minimize the chance of po po getting an up close look if all he wanted you for was speeding, running a stop sign, etc. Also, if you have a sunroof, keep it open as it will brighten the inside of the car and make the tint look less dark.

Do you know what brand of tinting they used? I went to some place off of Arapahoe just east of I-25 that was next to a Brake shop. I forget the name, but they don't use 3M anymore which is what a lot of ppl on here recommended. They seemed to know their stuff and appeared to use a high quality tint. $179 for regular, $219 for the nicer quality tint material. What do you think?

I'm not sure what brand they use but it has a lifetime warranty and it blocks 99% of UVA and UVB rays. The Forester cost me $229 minus 10% discount. Another place gave me that quote and Jazz It Up matched it. I'm sure you can do the same.

When my Legacy comes in, Kat at Jazz It Up (cool lady) gave me $199 plus a $10 coupon for a grand total of $189. Not bad for good tint w/ lifetime warranty!

I've got 20% all around and have had no problems. I had the same tint on my last car and even got pulled over once for speeding and the officer never said anything about it. I imagine that you'd probably have to give them a reason to write you up for it.

Chris

I've got 20% all around...had it on for about 1.5 years with no problems until a month ago. I was on my way home and got pulled over for my tint at my leasing office. I don't know how he could tell my tint was too dark, he saw me around 10pm and it a area that wasn't well lit, and he didn't check my tint after pulling me over. I've been next to, behind and infront of a lot of cops before and since and never had any problems. I think most cops have bigger problems than to pull you over for your tint, it's the bored ones that will do it.

I have 20% also you probably wont get a ticket unless your in greenwood village or centennial area they crack down on illegal window tinting, but call around to tint shops cause most wont go under the legal 28%, but I had 10% on my cavailer in high school and got pulled over alot, but with our cars I have not had a single question about my tint even with all my speeding tickets. good place to go is Jazz it up in Arapahoe county, I know the owner his name is Mark and tell him that Chris Brooks sent you he'll probably do your whole car for $120, but I paid cash and he said he starts at $160 for the whole car, any questions let me know I can get you set up with some nice tint, and if you want to see the work first hand you can check out my car.

What types of tint do you guys recommend (or recommend to stay away from)? The place I visited was called 5280 Auto Sports near Dayton and Arapahoe Rd. They use Diamond films which are metallic based. What's the difference between metallic and ceramic films? Which do you all prefer?

3M is good, but if the place warranties there stuff will replace it so dont worry, tint is tint unless you plan to do mirror and that will really run you a pretty penny, but ask around get the phone book out an call all around to get a good deal and a good tint film, companies dont lie cause alot of tinting places get there work from alot of word of mouth so dont worry, once it's on your car 3M, metallic and fine film will all look the same after a week or two, but give your tint 3-5 years an it might fade a little, my rear window is looking a little more purple than the rest of the car do to alot of sun light and aging so dont get mad when your tint starts to fade after 4 or 5 years it happens to everyone unless you get your windows smoked from the factory.

One warning about metallic films is that our antenna is in the window the metallic film will kill radio reception. So be careful, most tint shops know about this but it never hurts to ask.

I'm sorry but in Colorado I neve listen to the radio bad reception do to the mountains and hilly areas, so CD's an ipods are the way to do. and the radio stations out here are horrible and I refuse to turn it on, but thats just me, all subarus have horrible radio reception unless you get an exterior antenna.

Archived