LegacyGT.com

Does Subaru make more money on a 2.5i then a 2.5gt?

From a margins perspective, I know the 2.5i cost less, but with additional volume and less sophisticated parts (And other decontenting) does anyone know if Subaru's actual per car Margin is HIGHER on the lower end, "Bread and butter" models then the performance models?

I'm just curious.

-Allen

I'd say other way around. Is it really 6,000 extra for a turbo and the piping for it?

ha! Same MT tranny, same (overall) cost on the engine...throw in a few more for cheap leather and a crappy auto HVAC? No way. GT for the money making win

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I'd say other way around. Is it really 6,000 extra for a turbo and the piping for it?

ha! Same MT tranny, same (overall) cost on the engine...throw in a few more for cheap leather and a crappy auto HVAC? No way. GT for the money making win

I think tranny is differnent - well, the clutch is, so is flywheel, rear diff.

Engine internals are different. It's not the same engine "with turbo slaped on it".

Also 2.5i has no underbody tray, cheaper gauges.

2.5i manual is a stripper - even no tint strip in the windshield, no heated mirrors, no heated seats, no wiper deicers.

I think GT is better value...

As a general rule of thumb, from someone who worked in the car business, the more expensive cars are the profit centers or money makers, especially for the dealer. The real real expensive cars, of which Subaru makes none, can actually be money losers, but for the sake of the brand, they are "halo" cars, not meant to make money, but richen the brand.

They make more 2.5i's and cost less to produce them. They sell more too. They make more money off it.

Does Honda make more money off sales of the Civic or S2000? Civic. they sell millions for cheap and make a lot cus they cost little to produce.

I can't vouch for Subaru, but here is an example.

DaimlerChrysler makes about $9000.00 profit on a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

If they sold a Laredo package Grand Cherokee, they make about $7500.00.

Figuire the more goodies in the car, the more mark-up on each option.

This is Chrysler, not the dealer! A dealer is lucky to make a $1000.00 bucks on a new car.

Given the poor sales of LGT relative to 2.5i versions I think the LGT is likely a bit of a loser. Remember each configuration has overhead and the profit center needs to support that. They handed a $2000 rebate to me when I got my 2.5LGT 5mt wagon I don't think it was sales winner for them.

They get their pound of flesh for the GTs too... Believe me, if they didn't they wouldn't make as many as they do. It's not a very rare car...

Years ago, the spread on a Mercedes-Benz was 50% (manufacturer) 20% (dealer).

And they were holding the gross...

The cars were much cheaper to produce, and the prices weren't too much what they are today.

How do you like them apples...

Given the poor sales of LGT relative to 2.5i versions I think the LGT is likely a bit of a loser. Remember each configuration has overhead and the profit center needs to support that. They handed a $2000 rebate to me when I got my 2.5LGT 5mt wagon I don't think it was sales winner for them.

Poor sales?????? Read this.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48106

Archived